S5 network connection and drivers

Mangolicious

Posted · S5 network connection and drivers

Hi,

I'm from Germany and new to the Ultimaker family. After nearly 2 years of hard persuation, my company finally decided to put a printer into my office (yay). We ordered an S5 and it should be delivered next week. A little bit about myself: I have 10 years of experience in mechanical engineering (specialized in robotics and packaging), 5 years of experience as mechanical engineer in chemical industry and three years of hobby experience in 3D printing. My printer at home is DIY (it's a prusa-like printer) and now I'm additionally the "3D printing technician" in our R&D facility. But I'm really bad with networks. Thats the point where I need help.

The newest version of cura is already installed on my laptop. Today I talked to our IT-Guy and he sayd, he would need the IP-Adress, the MAC-Adress and a network driver from the S5. I think I find the IP- and MAC-Adress in the S5 menu, so that's not the problem.

My thoughts are about the network driver he need. Our IT-Guy says he must install the driver on our server by himself, so my laptop could talk with the printer over the network. Is the driver directly on the S5 or is there a source to download it? Is this procedure even necessary? Connecting the printer with wifi is not possible (because of security restrictions).

It's a little bit awkward. I could easily build a 3D printed 6-legged walking radio controlled sentry (not a) flamethrower (yes i do), but I have no clue from networks.

It's not so urgent, because i could print the first days with an usb-stick, until he figured out how he could integrate the printer in our "i hate every new device"-network.

Kind regards

Manuel

Posted (edited) · S5 network connection and drivers

There is no network driver for any Ultimaker printer (so far). However, your IT department has to make sure that necessary ports are open in order to allow communication between Cura and printer. For information about those ports and protocols please contact your Ultimaker reseller.

edit: almost forgot: welcome to the Ultimaker community ?

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

Posted · S5 network connection and drivers

Welcome to the forums!

The IP and MAC address are indeed found in the menu. There is a small hoop to jump through when you don't have a connection yet and want to see the MAC address. I've outlined how to get that here.

There is indeed no driver necessary. If your IT department needs ports: 80 (API, Webcam, Cura, Cura Connect), 5353 (Zero-conf/mDNS).

Hope this helps you out. If you've got more questions, please let us know.

• Thanks 1