Adding/Modifying Printer

AbeFM

Posted · Adding/Modifying Printer

Howdy folks!

I've been using a few printers with CURA over the past years, including a dual extrusion machine based on a CR-10S with a Chimera+ from E3D (Dual extruder, Dual nozzle).

Every time I update CURA I end up losing all my settings. I still have something working on 3.5.1, but would like to use the machine with 3.6.0b, and hopefully do it in a way that I don't have to redo everything with each version of CURA to be released.

Is there some simple way to do this?

There is probably a bug that gets triggered with your setup that we didn't find about yet. Since this has been going on for some time with you, I expect it's the same bug.

Could you share the logs and the files you created? I can't promise that we will be able to fix it anytime soon (as there is always more work than time), but I can probably at least tell you what's wrong (and hopefully provide at least a workaround) 

Posted (edited) · Adding/Modifying Printer

Hey, thanks! I most certainly can... I mean, I most certainly want to. What should I upload that would be the most helpful?

Really it isn't about saving what I have (I know my bed dimensions and such), but it would be nice to put one in that will have some future-proofing.

image.png.fc847df49a784713b817ae81ffcf818c.png

There's no nozzle offset, really nothing special at all, it's just a CR10s with lower accelerations (heavier head) and a second extruder. I was hoping I might take a built in profile and just make a couple changes and hit "save as".

(Aside: I don't think I remember the #2's being in the window. But unsure.)

Attaching a .3mf export, not sure if it has settings.

AbeSettingsChiMara351.3mf

Edited by AbeFM
    Attaching 3.5.1 3mf

On 11/12/2018 at 7:23 AM, nallath said:

[T]his has been going on for some time with you, I expect it's the same bug.

Could you share the logs and the files you created?

Really, I'd be utterly happy making a profile from scratch. I'd heard there's some new stuff under the hood for defining printers so I thought it would be a good time to do this.

Little of the original printer remains, at a certain point, I just want a Cartesian, dual extruder printer I can set the bed size on. It would be nice to base it on the CR-10s, but since the extruders, gantry and firmware are mostly homebrew, much of the stock numbers inapplicable now.

I feel like there's a "known method" or manual out there I don't know about. If so, could you point me there? 🙂

The #2 is basicly our "make the ID unique" being a bit overzealous. Fixing it would probably cause more problems than it actually solves, so we decided to leave it as is. 

There are a few things in the machine profile that don't need to be in there, since they are already inherited from the defaults of FDM printer.

Youre probably best off just creating a custom printer in the interface and change those settings. 

Posted (edited) · Adding/Modifying Printer
    15 hours ago, nallath said:

Youre probably best off just creating a custom printer in the interface and change those settings. 

Well underway. So far so good.

If you set acceleration values in a print profile, will it effect the predicted print time, even if  you don't "enable" acceleration control?

Edited by AbeFM

Uh, I don't know that one by heart, since I always use a UM profile, so there is no need to change these.

I spent some time digging in the Cura-files this weekend and I now made my own configuration template for Raptor 2.0 with graphics and everything inside Cura.
    In my opinion the Cura team should make some more efforts into making this easier for all the crazy people out there who just wants a decent setup...
    @AbeFM if you want some pointers I´d be happy to help, my settings are not stored in the temporary user-files folder (that gets reset almost daily because of new releases)

my printer shows up on the "others" list when you use the add new machine wizard and i made 6 default profiles for it that all are decent for their purposes and make excellent template for deviations.

Screenshot 2018-12-03 at 21.32.50.png

11 hours ago, Brannfjell said:

I spent some time digging in the Cura-files this weekend and I now made my own configuration template for Raptor 2.0 with graphics and everything inside Cura.
    In my opinion the Cura team should make some more efforts into making this easier for all the crazy people out there who just wants a decent setup...
    @AbeFM if you want some pointers I´d be happy to help, my settings are not stored in the temporary user-files folder (that gets reset almost daily because of new releases)

my printer shows up on the "others" list when you use the add new machine wizard and i made 6 default profiles for it that all are decent for their purposes and make excellent template for deviations.

Screenshot 2018-12-03 at 21.32.50.png

Would you also be so kind to make a pull request for these profiles? That way it's way easier for others to also benefit.

8 hours ago, nallath said:

Would you also be so kind to make a pull request for these profiles? That way it's way easier for others to also benefit.

I will as soon as they have been tested a bit more and I clean up naming and materials. Also got a couple of guys testing for the Formbot Raptor v 1. Im also a total rookie when it comes to github but I´ll manage.

Brannfjel any chance I could get those profiles.  I recently got a Raptor 2 and would like to use cura