Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
peterswift

cant move printhead.

I had a wierd issue yesterday. I saw the machine (ultimaker 3 extended+) print the first support brim layer. Then when switching to the second extruder with PLA the just went bananas.  Firstfillament blob" and started making loud machine gun noises when trying to move around so I turn it off.

Now I get this error message "https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/23151-the-x-or-y-axis-is-stuck-or-the-limit-switch-is-broken"
If I manually try to move the print head I can only move it one axis.

Im not sure what could be the issue and don't quite understand the guide in the link.

The horrible "machine gun" noise happens when the stepper "skips" steps.  It's a magnetic thing and although it sounds horrible your printer should be fine.  All the mechanical parts are stronger than the maximum force from the steppers.

If you power off and one axis is stuck then you have a serious mechanical problem.  I've seen this when sugar water, candy, glue, glue stick, or hair spray gets on the shafts but it could be many causes.  I recommend you start taking it all apart.  Loosen the 4 pulleys for the bad axis.  Completely pop out the two shafts that go through the head and put the head aside somewhere.  Try to figure out if a shaft won't turn or more likely if one or two blocks won't slide along one of the outer shafts in the gantry.

It could be as simple as LED wiring caught in the belt/pulley system.

If you printer is very new, you could try warranty service with your reseller but this printer is meant to be taken apart somewhat.  Certainly the gantry isn't too hard.  If you take apart one of the 4 slider blocks however be very very careful.  Those are easily destroyed (replacements are very cheap but who wants a "down" printer while waiting for replacement).  So pry those open very gently.