Dupont - Hytrel 3D4100FL

SandervG

Posted · Dupont - Hytrel 3D4100FL

Dupont makes Hytrel 3D4100FL available to Ultimaker users via our material alliance in Cura. 
You can access all available materials via Cura > Marketplace > Materials. 

Are you curious about others experiences using Hytrel 3D4100FL or do you have any other questions regarding this filament? Feel free to post them below. 

Some links you might find useful:
Technical Data Sheet
Safety Data Sheet
Printing Guidelines

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm planning on printing with this material next week, or trying to.  Does anyone have any experience or tips for printing on an S5?  I plan on drying the material and using the PolyBox while printing.

Has anyone tried any other support material?  Dupont recommends printing the supports with the same material, just curious if anyone has tried anything else.

• 1 month later...

PVA is ok but difficult. BVOH is easier if you have it. if you have used HIPS you can likely use it as a breakaway support. 

But self support is not bad and it prints very easy.

Initially I tried Hytrel and PLA, based on a supplier recommendation.  The print using the PLA as support did not turn out well, based on model geometry and the way Cura built the support.   The best solution I found for my model was to use Hytrel as the support and to increase the support density form 15% to 30%.

If I get some free time on the printer I might go back and try a small sample with PVA.

I used the Hytrel settings from the marketplace (except for the increased support density)  and had no issues printing.  The individual layer patterns in my print were simple and continuous, so I did not experience any stinging issues. For bed adhesion I used blue painters tape, it held well for the print and released with a squeeze of the printed part. The print was 39 hours.

I have one of the older Ultimaker 2's. I am not able to use Hytrel with the extruder on this machine. The filament just gets pushed to the side when it gets stuck traveling through the bowden tube.  I plan on getting an S5 soon, but was wondering what changes have been made to use this type of material. Will I need to modify anything to be able to use this material? Maybe a direct drive system would be better? Any thoughts or direction would be appreciated.

The only thing different on my S5 are the bowden tubes.  I switched them to the Capricorn XS Ultra Low Friction PTFE tubes.  I switched them as soon as I got the printer so I can not compare them to the stock bowden tubes. 

I made sure to dry the material as suggested before using it, and I kept the filament in a polybox while it was printing.

I was thinking about getting these tubes, I read that one end of the supplied tubes is a bit different for the feeder, did you have any issue fitting? cheers

Posted (edited) · Dupont - Hytrel 3D4100FL

Thanks for the advice Hudson. I was able to modify the extruder on my UM2 (Filling all possible gaps near knurled fitting) and replaced the bowden with some PTFE tubing I had on a roll. I successfully printed my design using Dupont Hytrel 3078 and the print looks absolutely perfect. It prints better than Ninja Flex. The total print time was 19 hours. Unfortunately I can't show the print due to my patent process. 

I forgot to show the print settings: Hytrel

Quality = 0.1mm 

Speed = 30mm/s

Temp = 240c

No Retraction

Fan Speed = 20%

Infill = 100%

Heated Bed = 40c (I use a plate similar to PEI)

Brim & No Support

The part is about 66mm tall and 62mm wide

Edited by chrisp

19 hours ago, geetee said:

I was thinking about getting these tubes, I read that one end of the supplied tubes is a bit different for the feeder, did you have any issue fitting? cheers

On the Ultimaker Bowden tubes one end has a taper on the inside to help advance the filament from the feeder into the tube.  I just used my pocket knife to knock down the sharp edge on the Capricorn tubes.  I have change materials at least 10 times so far and have not had any issues. 

Bowden Tubes.jpg

10 hours ago, chrisp said:

Thanks for the advice Hudson. I was able to modify the extruder on my UM2 (Filling all possible gaps near knurled fitting) and replaced the bowden with some PTFE tubing I had on a roll. I successfully printed my design using Dupont Hytrel 3078 and the print looks absolutely perfect. It prints better than Ninja Flex. The total print time was 19 hours. Unfortunately I can't show the print due to my patent process. 

I forgot to show the print settings: Hytrel

Quality = 0.1mm 

Speed = 30mm/s

Temp = 240c

No Retraction

Fan Speed = 20%

Infill = 100%

Heated Bed = 40c (I use a plate similar to PEI)

Brim & No Support

The part is about 66mm tall and 62mm wide

Glad to hear you were able to get it to print with what you had!

The next material I'm going to print is Arnitel ID 2060 HT from DSM.  If you need a higher temperature rating or want your prototype in black you should check it out.

7 hours ago, Hudson said:

Glad to hear you were able to get it to print with what you had!

The next material I'm going to print is Arnitel ID 2060 HT from DSM.  If you need a higher temperature rating or want your prototype in black you should check it out.

Where are you buying it from? I would love to try it. BTW, I'm currently printing another part with Hytrel and trying supports using the same material. Instead of using Cura, I drew them in with a 0.2mm gap from part. So far everything is looking nice.

15 hours ago, chrisp said:

Where are you buying it from? I would love to try it. BTW, I'm currently printing another part with Hytrel and trying supports using the same material. Instead of using Cura, I drew them in with a 0.2mm gap from part. So far everything is looking nice.

I am located in Germany, and we are sourcing it form 3DJake and I think they are getting it from FormFutura.

I'm curious how your current print turns out, please keep us posted.