Cura for dual extuder

aniketb

Posted · Cura for dual extuder

Hello,

I am trying to use second extruder for support material. I made following changes in Marlin

1. In Configuration_adv.h

#define EXTRUDERS 2

2. In Configuration.h

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1

#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 1

#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0

#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 1

I could see two different extruder temperatures on LCD screen but as I give print command, second extruder is not heating at all. I tried using Cura 12.12A, Cura 13.06.4 but none of them worked. Can anyone help me to select correct Cura version.

Are you working on windows or mac?

In any case you should use the latest version of Cura, which is 13.06.4 for windows.

In preferences you need to select 2 extruders.

You need to restart Cura, and upload new firmware to the Ultimaker.

When you are going to slice a model, you have to make sure to set a temperature to both hot ends.

Because with dual extrusion, you can still make single extrusion prints, so the option is available to leave 1 hot end disabled.

Are you sure you have connected the heater cables in the correct slots?

Hi,

I didn't see any mention of rebuilding Marlin in the wiki for dual extrusion. Is it necessary to rebuild Marlin to support it? If so that really should be specified in the dual extrusion build instructions.

Cheers,

Troy

you dont have to rebuild marling for dual printing !

just connect your usb to the ultimaker and update the firmware to the latest normal version. then ready to rock n roll.

just remember to go into cura preferecnes and set the hot end to 2 and not 1. restart your cura with the new settings.. and bobs your uncle.. start printing...

Ian :-)

Does the latest version of Marlin include support by default? I've got a build of Marlin from Daid's old Marlin builder with Heated Bed support turned on, but it's probably 6 months to a year old... Has Marlin always worked with multiple extruders by default, or has this been enabled by default only in the more recent builds?

I'm not using Cura, but in NetFabb Dual extrusion seems to be very easy to setup. I've sliced a few models for dual extrusion already. It's just a matter of getting around to actually installing the second extruder. I have it ready to go, but I'm not looking forward to disassembling my machine. Hopefully I'll work up the energy to do that this weekend.

Cheers,

Troy.

You may also want to make your build platform 1cm smaller (Cura > Preferences > Max depth 195) if you intend to do

first run wizards. If you don't the 2nd nozzle will run over the 2 back screws.

That is not mandatory, but for some it can be interesting i think.

I am not sure, but is Netfabb supporting retraction? I know it didn't always support it, never actually heard they did but i can't imagine they haven't figured it out by now..

The dual-extrusion-support material checkbox in Cura 13.06.X does not work. The test version I uploaded about the new support material contains a fix. Note that printing dissolvable support material from an Ultimaker is an unsupported feature as we know it can issues.

I am not sure, but is Netfabb supporting retraction? I know it didn't always support it, never actually heard they did but i can't imagine they haven't figured it out by now..

NF has always had retraction as a feature, but it didn't work for quite a while. However it's been fixed for a long time now and works quite well.

Not support it & didn't work for a while is the same in my book ;)

But good to know it works now. Thanks!

I want to use 100k thermistor for sensing temperature hence I cant use Cura's default Marlin. Default Marlin uses Thermocouple. Thats why I need to modify my Marlin. I think problem lies in the G-Code generation. Following are some initial G-Codes generated while preparing for dual extrusion.

M92 E865.888000

M140 S70.000000

M109 S220.000000

M190 S70.000000

Here M109 is used for setting target temperature. But in my case target temperature is given only for single extruder. Can anyone post their initial G-Code that has worked for dual extruder?