Gyroid infill as model not printing as shown

print_addict

Posted · Gyroid infill as model not printing as shown

I am trying to use the gyroid infill as my model by setting walls to zero etc. I have also changed the infill line width.

I have attached a few pics one of what the print looks like in cura in layer mode, the failed print and the original model. I have tried printing this a couple of times and it has failed in the same way. I don't know if it's difficult to print or just an extrusion problem. The problems I have are that the change in infill line width isn't being followed, I set the part I want to be just Gyroid infill to 2.45mm infill line width in the per object settings and it seems to still be printing at .35mm. In places there is a perimeter wall though non is shown on the model. There are also two or three lines running through the print.

I have tried this on an Ultimaker 2+ and extended Ultimaker 2+.

Thanks.

gyroid.png

20181122_111833.jpg

20181122_111814.jpg

gyroidmodel.png

Thanks for the file. I think the main problem there is that your extruder/hot end simply can't shift enough hot plastic to be able to print a nice 2.45 mm wide line using a 0.4mm nozzle. To get rid of the straight lines you need to turn off combing completely. Hope this helps.

20 minutes ago, print_addict said:

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at the file. Is there any way to get the infill to print thicker walls? Using multiple lines for instance.

Thanks.

I tried setting the Infill Line Multiplier to a value higher than 1 and it did print multiple lines for the infill but, unfortunately, it appears to produce duplicate lines and a lot of weird travel moves so I can't recommend it. Sorry.

It also raises the print time from 4 hours to 1 day 10 hours! The effect isn't limited to gyroid infill either. Is there any way to raise this with the Cura team ?

At the risk of sounding sarcastic (which I am really being serious), I just went with the Larger bore nozzles (0.6, 0.8. etc.) to get thicker infills.

However, I have not gotten a good print without some sort of shell (PVA or otherwise), even with the combing off. But I am getting nice patterns in see through objects that I like.

1 minute ago, kmanstudios said:

At the risk of sounding sarcastic (which I am really being serious), I just went with the Larger bore nozzles (0.6, 0.8. etc.) to get thicker infills.

However, I have not gotten a good print without some sort of shell (PVA or otherwise), even with the combing off. But I am getting nice patterns in see through objects that I like.

I don't have this option as the printer is in a makerspce. We don't have a multinozzle machine either unfortunately.

I think I'll have to find another way to generate the object.

14 minutes ago, print_addict said:

I don't have this option as the printer is in a makerspce. We don't have a multinozzle machine either unfortunately.

I think I'll have to find another way to generate the object. 

How about this... take an existing gyroid stl (there's a bunch on thingiverse) and using a 3d modelling app intersect the hemisphere shape so you end up with a hemisphere gyroid model which can then be printed as normal walls/infill?

• Like 1

i.e. something like this

Gyroid_80x80x80.stl

23 minutes ago, smartavionics said:

How about this... take an existing gyroid stl (there's a bunch on thingiverse) and using a 3d modelling app intersect the hemisphere shape so you end up with a hemisphere gyroid model which can then be printed as normal walls/infill?

I'm using onshape and it's not possible to do a boolean operation on a mesh(stl) in onshape. I believe meshmixer can do this ? but I use linux and it doesn't run there. Is there any other way ?

Sorry, I don't know.

Hi Eric, you're in the room, any suggestions?

For? Grapphics programs? His search would be as good as my search.

Printing options? Not really any more than offered already. As I said, I just started to use transparent skins or PVA, mostly transparent, to get a clean gyroid infill (Let the pattern show through). This has more to do with the limitations of how cura handles infills. I mean, seriously, not many weirdos (no offense to the OP) like me that wanna do this stuff.

Most salient points were made by you. But I still would investigate larger bore nozzles rather than more infill walls.

7 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

As I said, I just started to use transparent skins or PVA, mostly transparent, to get a clean gyroid infill (Let the pattern show through). 

Do you have any photos of such prints to show

3 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I mean, seriously, not many weirdos (no offense to the OP) like me that wanna do this stuff.

Non taken 🙂

Posted (edited) · Gyroid infill as model not printing as shown
    11 minutes ago, print_addict said:

Do you have any photos of such prints to show

While there is more color here than one nozzle, the effect remains consistent:

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/462-post-your-latest-print/?do=findComment&comment=224970

Edited by kmanstudios

Posted (edited) · Gyroid infill as model not printing as shown

I found a stp file of a gyroid on grabcad and I was able to do a boolean operation on that model.

Here is the result of an 11 hour print , with no supports so I have some repair work to do. It was printed in ABS so I will be using ABS slurry to repair it.

20181124_095013.thumb.jpg.40573e5959fc485245498defd1511c83.jpg20181124_094857.thumb.jpg.1f31ddc2ad6cf83c83cc446d7344cdf3.jpg20181124_100740.thumb.jpg.a304c3b81d922cf9f6d0bf087e09a5f9.jpg

Edited by print_addict