Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Knoose

Cura 'bridging' vertical holes top and bottom

Recommended Posts

Hi there,

I am having this weird issue while slicing vertical holes, I am probably missing one setting which I cannot find so I need your help
Whenever I slice vertical holes in Cura they seem to get flattened on the bottom and top making the slightly oval.
I thought it was because of the experimental bridge settings but turning them off does not make a difference. Is there a setting which enables me to print the holes as they are supposed to be printed?

Kind regards,

Knoose

topping-off.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for checking it out,

Snap, I really need the negative horizontal expansion because else it will print my holes slightly too small for all sorts of screws.
On the other hand it already did this before I started to use horizontal expansion (but obviously less as can be seen in your second image).

Guess I have to recalibrate my x and y axis instead of this shortcut 🙂
Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Knoose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Knoose said:

I really need the negative horizontal expansion because else it will print my holes slightly too small for all sorts of screws.

Due to several reasons, holes are always printed smaller than designed. Using the horizontal expansion setting can compensate the dimensions for the hole, but also for all other dimensions in x/y. So, in my opinion, this is not an option, because I want to have dimensional accuracy over the whole object and not only at the holes. 

 

Normally you have to design holes slightly larger and then they will fit your screws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Due to several reasons, holes are always printed smaller than designed. Using the horizontal expansion setting can compensate the dimensions for the hole, but also for all other dimensions in x/y. So, in my opinion, this is not an option, because I want to have dimensional accuracy over the whole object and not only at the holes. 

 

Normally you have to design holes slightly larger and then they will fit your screws.

Hello Smithy,

Thank you for your reply, you are right of course, the few times I have designed my own items I had taken into account the offsets. Sometimes I just like to just pull stuff from thingiverse without the trouble of adapting it. Still I am aware my x and  y axis are slightly off which does not help either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Knoose said:

Sometimes I just like to just pull stuff from thingiverse without the trouble of adapting it.

In that case, I drill the hole after printing and you are done 🙂 

But I know, it is not possible for every model, but normally it is easiest and quickest way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • How to 3D print with reinforced engineering materials
      Ultimaker is hosting a webinar where we explain how you can achieve and maintain a high print success rate using these new reinforced engineering materials. Learn from Ultimaker's Product Manager of Materials and top chemical engineer Bart van As how you can take your 3D printing to that next level.
      • 2 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!