Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
DeNescafe

Perfect wall thickness

Fellow 3D print friends,

Wanted to develop a part with a thin (uniform) wall thickness, so I searched through the parameters and found that the line width is 0.35mm.

So, my part (see figure), has a wall of 1.05mm, 3x0.35(outer walls)

image.thumb.png.5161a4c1183732cf9fa3fa3d6cf97731.png

Now the 'problem', the nozzle deposits the outer walls nornally, however creates an 'infill pattern' for the inner walls.

Is there anyone with a suggestion on how to solve this problem? Or what would be an optimal wall thickness?

Would love to know this so I can multiply the 'line width' times X for thin walls.

Cheers

Line Width is one part and then you have to say how thick you want your wall or how many walls you want. There are 2 parameters in Cura, Wall Thickness and Wall Count. You can set the one or the other setting, depending if you prefer to set how many walls or the thickness.

So if you want to have 1.05mm walls you should have this wall thickness in your model as well. Then set wall count to 3 and with a line width of 0.35 you get 3 walls.

Well, made another test sample and got some interesting insights.

Test specimen I: 1mm (based on standard settings, outer wall thickness 0.35 and inner wall thickness 0.3 ---> 0.35 + 0.3 + 0.35 = 1mm)

Is printed exactly how I wanted.

Test specimen 2: 1.23, because the default settings state a wall thickness of 1.23, consisting of 4 walls.

Does print without an infill as well, just prints the lines, so this is also fine!

Notable difference, specimen I ---> first print the outer walls, then the inner wall

Specimen II --> first prints two inner walls, then the outer walls. Probably because it tries to squeeze 4 times a 0.35mm line into 1.23mm.

Anyone who could give me insights on the line width of 0.35mm with a nozzle of 0.4mm. Sounds very counterintuitive to me, would expect it to be 0.48mm like most other printers/software. Does it have something to do with the 'air gap'? Would like to know how Cura deals with this, as I am looking for an 'ideal' minimum wall thickness for optimal strength and dimensional accuracy.=