Cura disconnecting my walls ?

ian

Posted · Cura disconnecting my walls ?

Cura disconnecting my walls ?

I just brought in a new simple model i made today.

The walls are all placed face to face and no space between them.

But when Cura gcodes the layers.. there are big spaces between the walls..

this wont work for my work model i need.

any ideas why the walls are jumping away from one another ?

Thanks.

Ian :smile:

nam2

nam1

I can only see the tiny versions of these images. When I click it says I "don't have permission". Can you fix this?

I'm going to guess that your CAD model has internal surfaces inside the walls. Play with the "fix horrible" checkboxes in Cura. One of them should fix this for you. Or a combination of 2 of them. If not you will have to fix your model.

It says:

You do not have permission to view this image

Did you upload it to your gallery? Maybe part of your gallery is marked private?

It's the "anti-Ian" feature kicking in ;-)

Could you send me the model? (I'll keep it confidential) then I can take a better look at why this happens.

I have a similar issue there, the model was a bridge tower made in Catia, which was exported to STL fine, as can be sliced in netfabb with all parts.

But in Cura, the out wall of one side was missing for several layers. as shown. could anyone give an idea why this happens and how to deal with it?

thanks a lot!

tower

Look at it in xray view. If you see any RED then the model is illegal ( for example has inner surfaces that should be ignored or inner surfaces that don't touch any other surface or two surfaces on the same point - things like that).

You can fix most of these issues in the "fix horrible" settings although there are 11 different combinations.

By the way I can't see your images very well - they are much too small and if I try to click on one it says I don't have permission. Please change the permission of your gallery.

Make sure the gallery is type "public". You can edit it now.

thanks for reply and explanation! the photo goes Public now. would you check again and instruct.

Yes, I imagine that there's a defect in the model so that that part of the STL has an empty space inside it that leaves just a very very thin wall in that part - and Cura decides that it's too thin to print, so ignores it.

You could try some of the 'fix horrible' settings, or else use a tool like Netfabb to repair the mesh (although I'm not sure whether it will try to get rid of a well-formed 'bubble' inside a solid object, if that's what you have).

@williamwei

Yes, I can see the picture better now. Cura is confused about what is inside and outside. You could try all the combinations of "fix horrible" but I would just slice it in the older version of Cura. Get Cura 13.04 and it has a completely different slicing engine that should do a better job for this bad cad model.

Or if you have access to the CAD files you could fix the issues in red in xray view. Basically you need to clearly show in your cad model what is inside and what is outside. You can't have extra walls that don't do anything - there should *only* be walls seperating inside from outside. Not inside from inside.

Also you DO NOT need support for this model. I strongly recommend you remove support. The PLA should bridge the gaps just fine.

HI Illuminarti,

thanks and I believe you're right-cura thinks the walls too thin to be printed. I did try with Older version of Cura and netfabb, the later one worked.

I'll try mixture of "fix horrible" see if I can make it in Cura.

thanks!

Yes, I imagine that there's a defect in the model so that that part of the STL has an empty space inside it that leaves just a very very thin wall in that part - and Cura decides that it's too thin to print, so ignores it.

You could try some of the 'fix horrible' settings, or else use a tool like Netfabb to repair the mesh (although I'm not sure whether it will try to get rid of a well-formed 'bubble' inside a solid object, if that's what you have).