Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Jarno

Cura support blocker not working on macOS

I have a print consisting out of 2 models and have placed support blockers on both objects. Alas when I look at both the layer view end the actual printed models I see that support is still being printed in those areas where I have placed support blockers.

I have Cura version 3.6.0 installed on a Macbook Pro, macOS Mojave version 10.14.1 and am printing on a Creality CR-10S.

Anybody have any idea what I can do to make the support blockers work?

production-v-2.gcode

Screenshot cura.png

achterkantje-v-2.stl

frontje-v-2.stl

Edited by Jarno

I have currently no idea why it is not working for you, but it has nothing to do with macOS, because I am using also 3.6.0 with macOS Mojave and for me it is working.

I guess it there could be an issue with the model, but I cannot check your STL files currently.

I wasn't implying the problem is macOS, just trying to be as complete as I can in giving information. 😉

As for the models, they've been drawn in Sketchup and I ran Solid inspector (2 plugins) checks before exporting the models.

Anything more I can do to check the models myself?

Edited by Jarno
Grammar faults

I think the issue you see is that you have support blockers at the bottom, but you need support for top overhang. And in that case, it looks like, that the blockers for the bottom will be ignored. I played a little bit with your model and the blockers but also got not the expected result. I have seen some days ago a similar issue, without blockers but with the support angle setting where normally no support should be generated but did because of another surface which needed support above.

I am not sure if this is a bug or if there is another reason for that behavior. Maybe some else has some more ideas? 

I think the issue you see is that you have support blockers at the bottom...will be ignored.

Interesting line of thought. I tested different simple models without overhanging parts and the support blocker works as expected. Yet when there are overhanging elements than the support blockers don't seem to work.

Hoping it's a bug as opposed to a behavioral feature that needs to be developed.