An idea to help novice and experienced uses

schafe

Posted · An idea to help novice and experienced uses

Usage info is reported to the folks at Ultimaker.  I'm not sure what data is collected, but how about adding information giving what the typical user has for each setting and letting a user know if they have a value that is way off from the norm.  Maybe that could be done for each printer supported by Cura.

For example, my support density is 15% which I suspect is close to typical.  If I enter 40% into that field, let me know I have entered a value that is outside the normal window for that setting. 

This exists for the print speed settings.  I would like it applied to all settings, even those I do not have checked, and let me know if I am not using a setting most people are.  I do not use the "Alternate Extra Wall" feature.  If most users are using this feature, let me know.

An average does not always make a good value, especially if you realise that there is interplay between settings. And there’s also an interplay between what settings work for what printer types, materials and even specific models.

In short, a LOT of data would need to be combined to train a deep learning network to be useful for predicting profile settings.

Also; What works for one model (setting wise) will probably not work for another. Since we (explicitly) don't send models with the slice data, we don't know what features the model has.

We do look at the data (quite a bit actually) and use that to update / improve our default profiles.