Holes in my model

cdaher

Posted · Holes in my model

Hello all,

I am having an issue, especially with long prints (20 hours +) that I am left with a model with several holes in it even at a "normal" quality print. Both runs with generic and ultimaker specific filament and the dissolving filament have holes. Any suggestions of what I can do to alleviate the situation? 

Thanks in advance,model.thumb.jpg.de23043f0dedb5f52e1ef98dc87a2ad5.jpg

Posted · Holes in my model

Are you using PVA?  You don't need pva for all those windows.  Even the ones at the very top.  PVA can create those holes.  If those aren't pva holes then they might be due to speed changes.

To fix PVA holes, block support where those windows are.  The tops of the windows have a "bridge" and your printer can bridge pretty well.  Especially such a short distance.  A good example of a bridge would be the top of a door frame.  More info here - look at the first two bridge photos here:

https://support.3dverkstan.se/article/38-designing-for-3d-printing#span-instead-of-overhang

To fix holes due to speed changes - get rid of speed changes.  Change all your printing speeds to 30mm/sec and the quality of your print will go up drastically.  Leave the bottom layer speed at 20mm/sec.  Leave the travel speed at 150mm/sec (or faster).  Anytime you have a speed change you get overextrusion or underextrusion because it takes a while for the pressure in the nozzle to stabilize.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies