Ultimainboard 1548-I Cannot update firmware

Simon333

Posted · Ultimainboard 1548-I Cannot update firmware

Dear Community, 

Hope you can help. 

I have an Ultimaker 3 where I had to switch my main board. Bought a new Ultimainboard 1548-I and installed it with correct wiring. When I turned the machine on it came with ultimaker.com/ER01 error message which of what I can read is a head temp error of the Ultimaker 2/2+ ? This confused me a bit. - So next step I want to update the firmware on the ultimainboard. Problem is I cannot update it via internet or usb stick when the error message comes up. So I wanted to try updating it via USB cable, So I have detached the board from the back panel to access the USB cable connection point. In Cura there is no option to update the firmware on an Ultimaker 3 from the software (especially not because cura thinks its an ultimaker 2+). 

I have downloaded the latest firmware today: "latest.tar.xs.sig" and "latest.tar.xs" - how can I update my board via USB cable connection? - Couldnt find anything online about it. 

I really hope you can help me out - I wish all a great day. 

Thank you for your answer nallath. 

So how do I update through the Ollimex board? The thing is I cannot update through the firmware through the two normal ways as it thinks it is an ultimaker 2+ 

Is there no way of doing it via the usb connection on the Ultimainboard 1548-I ? 

Or if I have to do it through the Ollimex board - how do I do this? 

Thank you in Advance

Strange, the Olimex board in the UM3 should always overwrite the Ultimainboard firmware when the checksum differs from the expected value.

What we expect that is wrong in your setup is that you have connected the display connector to the UltimainBoard, i.e. the way it is connected in the UM2 where in the UM3 it must be connected to the OIimex board. Now the UM2 is still present and boots, can't find the printhead and shows this error. With proper cabling it will take about a minute for the UM3 to boot and to re-program the Ultimainboard.

• Like 1

This could be it. Do you by any chance have a correct wiring diagram or picture of wiring? 

I have attached how mine is wired now. 

I wish you a great day

IMG_20181213_133820.jpg

IMG_20181213_133825.jpg

IMG_20181213_133829.jpg

IMG_20181213_133836.jpg

Yep, those display cables are connected wrong. I don't understand why you disconnected them when replacing the 1548 board since those cables are connected to the Olimex board.

Here are pictures of my printer. Note how one of the cables is marked with a '1', this is often done during fabrication to distinguish the cables but is not always present (good to add it yourself when missing).

EXP1 on the display board is connected to EXP1 on the Olimex board, and similar EXP2 connects EXP2 on both boards..

20181217_094217.thumb.jpg.8e8e7608b99b04eb8d70b9f82d9c5e4e.jpg

20181217_094845.thumb.jpg.94c319d61657197a42a02fa3433f7450.jpg

Thank you Carlos! 

I tried cabling it correctly at the Ollimex board, but the screen does not come alive. No light in the screen. I think my Olimex board is broken so I have just ordered a new one. I will let you know if it works.