cura not slicing properly

mawiszus

Posted · cura not slicing properly

I have created a model in my.sketchup.com online and I export to STL, when I run it through cura it looks fine until I do layer view. For some reason it skips layers and puts scaffolding there instead. See attached pictures. 

m.sketchup.JPG

cura.JPG

I assume that the exported model has some errors. You could check it with a tool such as Netfabb or other similar online services.

Btw. for such a large model, you don't need to print with "Brim" since the bed adhesion will be pretty good (if you print with PLA or similar materials).

Look at the part in xray view - anything red is an error.  That often shows the problem.  There are many issues with sketchup as it lets you create non-manifold parts (non-solid parts) and infinitely thin walls (which are printed properly by not printing at all).

Make sure all surfaces are white - any surface in sketchup that is gray - you right click on it and swap surfaces to make it white.  That will make a big difference to cura as now cura knows the inside versus the outside of your seemingly random walls.

Much more info here and this is easy reading:

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/