mawiszus

cura not slicing properly

Posted · cura not slicing properly

I have created a model in my.sketchup.com online and I export to STL, when I run it through cura it looks fine until I do layer view. For some reason it skips layers and puts scaffolding there instead. See attached pictures. 

m.sketchup.JPG

cura.JPG

I assume that the exported model has some errors. You could check it with a tool such as Netfabb or other similar online services.

Btw. for such a large model, you don't need to print with "Brim" since the bed adhesion will be pretty good (if you print with PLA or similar materials).

When I scale the model, some the main gable will come out fine with no space but then the dormers will only slice a little. 

Look at the part in xray view - anything red is an error.  That often shows the problem.  There are many issues with sketchup as it lets you create non-manifold parts (non-solid parts) and infinitely thin walls (which are printed properly by not printing at all).

Make sure all surfaces are white - any surface in sketchup that is gray - you right click on it and swap surfaces to make it white.  That will make a big difference to cura as now cura knows the inside versus the outside of your seemingly random walls.

Much more info here and this is easy reading:

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/