Loading an STL file from a network drive

jens3

Posted · Loading an STL file from a network drive

When loading a new file into Cura for slicing, Cura will only see the local drives.

I am running Cura under Linux and when displaying files in the file browser I see attached network drives but these do not show up under the Cura load dialog.

Currently I go into the remote directory and drag the file into Cura. That works but is cumbersome.

Is there a better way available ?

How have you mounted your network drives? Are they mounted?

A network drive is mounted in the local filesystem, so you should see the mount point in Cura. (/mnt/.. or something like that)

Hmmmm .... an interesting question and one I had never thought about before.

I will have to think about what I am actually doing for mounting. Currently the drive shows up in my 'files' browser as smb://computername/sharename.

Thanks for giving me something to think about !

3 minutes ago, jens3 said:

Currently the drive shows up in my 'files' browser as smb://computername/sharename.

Yes and that's the problem I guess. Your network drive shows up in your file browser, but it is not mounted. You can access the drive, because the file browser will do the work for you, but to have the network share available for applications and so on, you have to mount it. 

I am using Linux only on servers, without a desktop, so I cannot help you how to do it, but on the command line you add a line to /etc/fstab to mount a filesystem and you have to save where you want to mount it, normally /mnt/whatever