Unusual Failure

R3search3R

Posted · Unusual Failure

Hi Ultimaker Community,

Just wondering if any users of the Ultimaker (we have the 3+) have seen this fault or can help diagnose how it has happened. 

This occurred roughly 4 hours into a 6 hour print using PLA before a concerned colleague switched it off due to 'loud noises'. Our system usually runs all day every day without any faults... until last night.

I'm aware that this is likely to need a whole new assembly as the printcore cables have become dislodged and are 'glued' in, plus the fan has been forced off its brackets. 

Any ideas to stop this happening again or if anyone has any ideas on how to attempt to fix this please let me know.

Best regards

Wow.jpg

Posted · Unusual Failure

This is a common failure called a "head flood" although I've never experienced it personally.

The fix is to use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat up the red plastic and remove it gradually in many steps using pliers or other tools.  Try not to break any wires but know that it's relatively cheap to get replacement parts.  Even though replacement parts are not listed at your resellers website, they have every part of the um3 for sale separately and in particular the plastic parts are quite cheap so if you break something you may have to contact them.  If you don't mind having your printer unavailable for a week and refuse to fix it yourself and the printer is still in warranty you might be able to get the reseller to fix it for you.

There are two possible causes.  One cause is that the door popped open.  Make sure the door magnets are touching the two vertical screws when it is closed and isn't so loose that it might vibrate open.

More commonly the cause is that you printed something that was wider than tall and it came loose from the print bed.  The part then slides around the print bed like a hockey puck with the nozzle stuck on one spot of your print and filament oozing out for hours.  The solution for this is to get your parts to stick better.  It's important to wash your glass clean about once per month.  Here are all the important tricks you need to know such that your part will *never* come loose from the glass during a print.  It's a long video but packed with important details and why these tricks are important.

• Like 1

Posted · Unusual Failure

Hi gr5,

Thank you so much for this helpful response. I appreciate the time it has taken you to put this explanation together. After 4 hours of hair dryer treatment and picking the extruder manifold is now clear.  It is now printing successfully although i am seeing an active levelling sensor error. I have deactivated this in the system menu.

During the failure the white and red sensor came loose from the sensor pad. Do you know which orientation (left / right) the cables should go back in?

Again many thanks for your support. That video is an excellent tutorial.

Posted (edited) · Unusual Failure
    2 hours ago, R3search3R said:

During the failure the white and red sensor came loose from the sensor pad. Do you know which orientation (left / right) the cables should go back in?

It has be done before, there are a lot of pictures in this thread:

Edited by tinkergnome