Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
Nicolinux

Brass bearing squeaking

Hi,

I've read a few posts about lubrication and the consensus seems to be to not lubricate the rods (except for the threaded rod with the green grease) at all. However some of my smooth rods (x/y axis) do squeack noticeably. Some of them are not entierly clean, they have dark areas along them. It is not dust or the like because I can't wipe it off.

Anybody else had this problem? I bought some universal oil - just in case but haven't used it:

http://www.ballistol.de/90-1-BALLISTOL-Universal-Oil.html

Thanks,

Stefan

It is the smaller axis rods that you want to avoid lubricating because they have self-lubricating bearings sliding across them. It does more harm that good to add lubricant to those.

As for the larger axis rods, they only have solid brass sliding across them as you know.

Lubricant wise, what do you guys think about using ordinary gun oil? I know Europe and the other side of the US are pretty anti-gun so I don't expect many of you to have it. Are the properties similar to that of sewing machine oil?

The smaller rods are not self lubricating. They are linear ball bushings. Or rather, ball bearings rolling on the shafts. Lubricating them does no harm. I would recommend it from time to time. I have used both the green grease provided by UM and sewing machine oil on them.

The sintered bronze bushings used for the X-Y belt blocks are oil impregnated from the manufacturer. This does not mean they are what engineers would call "Lubed for Life". They need to be oiled. I would recommend every 5 hours of operation or so. The only harm to over oiling is you might drip into the print envelope or get oil on your belts.

Matt

Both the axes and the cross rods can, and in my opinion should, be lubricated with light oil. I definitely wouldn't use the grease - it's too thick, and attracts dust, and generally does more harm than good.

Don't know anything about gun oil, I'm afraid.