JohnInOttawa

Programming a filament change like a tool change

Posted · Programming a filament change like a tool change

Good morning everyone.  I suspect this question has been asked and answered in various forms but I'm just not finding it today.

Here's the idea:

On my CNC (Gcode driven of course), programming tool changes is routine.  These can be implemented without an automatic tool changer, the machine goes to safe and waits for the operator to advise when ready to proceed (after the tool change is complete).  In my software (Mach3), you can change the tool, reset zero and move the gantry position if needed (to the zero reference), and when you hit the continue prompt, the machine returns to the correct position at safe, then descends and continues the job with the correct bit.

Soooo, let's say I want to run a 3 color job on my UM3, for example a name plate background in black, with two colors (say red and white) embossing a logo on top.  I only need black up to the point I am going to start with color so there would be no overlap (but I would need to get the exact layer correct).

I'm aware of 'Pause at height' but the last I heard about that feature it was not working correctly and it was unclear to me if one could combine pause at height with a filament change and get good results.  Maybe there is a plugin somehere?

Thanks in advance!

John

Posted · Programming a filament change like a tool change
2 hours ago, JohnInOttawa said:

I'm aware of 'Pause at height' but the last I heard about that feature it was not working correctly

If I am correct (it has been a bit of time) I have used it just fine in 3.6 and 4.0.

Posted (edited) · Programming a filament change like a tool change

Actually I am having problems with "Pause at height" also:

After loading a model into Cura 3.6.0 I add a post processing script "Pause at height" or "Filament change" for a change at a certain layer number.

When during printing the printer (UM3) reaches that certain layer, it goes to pause and I can change the filament. When I resume the print after changing the filament, the (travel-)speeds seem to be different (very high) and there seems to be no more z axis advancements.

Is anybody being successful in doing this or could it be some Cura problem (or am I just plainly stupid)?

I tried the "Pause at height" without changing the filament and it went perfectly fine...

Edited by leliep