Large print, cutout for print-bed clips

FloGer

Posted · Large print, cutout for print-bed clips

Hi all,

I am printing a large part (that just about fits the print-bed). In order to take the glass-clips into account, I have made some cut-outs to my model (see image below).

I see that CURA does not take the exact geometry (yellow) into account, but traces a polygon (darg-grey) around the outside of my model. Is it possible to be more precise in this region, so that I do not have to cut my model too much?

image.thumb.png.a52d11cc5d15d150ed4f69103e3beae4.png

Thanks for your help,

FloGer

On 1/11/2019 at 5:31 PM, FloGer said:

traces a polygon (darg-grey) around the outside of my model.

The important thing here is that your model is concave, and the polygon around the model is convex. Doing intersection-calculations on concave is much harder, more computationally intensive, thus takes longer, than doing the same with only convex polygons.

concave-convex.svg

Posted (edited) · Large print, cutout for print-bed clips

Hi guys,

Thanks for the answer. So in short: there is no option in Cura currently that would allow me to create a concave object to fit around the clips without Cura freaking out.

Is there a "hacky" way, to tell Cura to ignore these clips? To change the "usable" surface? Some configuration file?

Thanks a lot!

FloGer

Edited by FloGer

You need to remove the disallowed areas from the .def.json file, but I wouldn't recommend doing that. This greatly increases the chances of destroying the nozzle.

• Thanks 1