Plugins within Cura are missing

cordell

Posted · Plugins within Cura are missing

Hi all,

Did a Cura install of version 3.4.1 on a new PC this morning. I went to install Octoprint and there are only 6 plugins available for installation. Is 3.4.1 abandoned or is something up with Cura servers?

Thanks

It looks like when a new version of a plugin is published, the previous version of the plugin is removed. So when a version of OctoPrintPlugin was published for Cura 3.6, the version for Cura 3.4 became unavailable. I will see if I can make it available through other means than the Toolbox (it is called Toolbox in Cura 3.4, right, or was it still the Plugin Browser?)

It is Toolbox in 3.4

Just installed 3.6 and can see the plugins there. I've had a hard time getting 3.6 to work right with my printer. 3.4.1 seems to be the best version for me as of now.

1st post on the forum.. Thanks for making such an awesome slicer with progressive features and working with the community

I do have an big issue related to the above, i just did a backup of all my settings on 3.4.1  and then reset 3.4.1 as I was having config issues.

1. Now in 3.4.1 I can only see the plugins below so cant recover all my backup profiles 😞

image.thumb.png.ca8dc87f555a9ada0513c947cb10e63c.png

2.  downloaded all newer versions of CURA 4.0.0 BETA and have even less plugins available so no help there 😞

image.thumb.png.9f04becf3c49566da010d3a037a0030f.png

3. So tried all other versions between 3.4.1 and 4.0.0 and only one that looks like it will work is 3.6 but I get this error:

image.thumb.png.3f32013dee42535944dbe65e8fe26733.png

Please help.. there were lots of profiles, machine settings, materials etc.. and its gonna take hours to redo :-(.

The current stable version is Cura 3.6. Cura 4.0 is only available in beta. Plugins need to be adapted for Cura 4.0.

In the past few weeks it has become apparent that plugins currently can only be available in the Toolbox/Marketplace for one Cura version at a time. Most plugins are available for Cura 3.6

• Thanks 1

Hi thanks for the quick response. Totally get what your saying but how do I import (via backups) my 3.4.1 beta into 3.6 as I get the does not match problem? Any way round it. Worst case I have to set everything up again from memory and can view geode files to get the profile settings as it's all appended at the end of the file.   But I'd rather avoid all that if possible!

Since I have a 3.4.1 version with plugins installed on my old PC, I copied the whole folder from Programfiles. I then uninstalled Cura on my new PC, then copied the folder over of the full Cura with plugins. I opened Cura but the plugins were not there, strange that the folder has the plugins for one PC and not the other. 

I've got 3.6 printing fairly well, I guess it's just time to move on. 

Thanks for the information here!

Plugins that are downloaded via the Marketplace/Toolbox are not installed in the Program Files folder, but in the configuration folder. See Help -> Show configuration folder, and then open the folder named "plugins"

• Like 1

Ok so ive solved it with a bit of lateral thinking and probably a lot of luck on my part .   I mannaged to restore the 3.4 configuration folder (am using window 7 and have previous version stufff enabled).   So fully recovered all my profiles and settings ... Bonus :-)

Then I realised there was an even easier way..  As I in the CURA config folder the zip file used to store stuff through CURA Backup wasin there too!!    Think panic had set in for a little while and logical thinking had gone out of the window !

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Plugins that are downloaded via the Marketplace/Toolbox are not installed in the Program Files folder, but in the configuration folder. See Help -> Show configuration folder, and then open the folder named "plugins"

Thanks!

Yeah, this was a stupid oversight on our end. I'm now changing the way Cura loads plugins so it's possible to have a single package / plugin be able to support multiple Cura versions (thus not forcing plugin devs to select a single Cura version that they publish their plugin for).

Sorry for the confusion / issues about this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nallath said:

I'm now changing the way Cura loads plugins so it's possible to have a single package / plugin be able to support multiple Cura versions

I would very much appreciate it if the Marketplace could keep serving older versions of my plugins for older versions of Cura. If not, I would still have to test new versions of my plugins with the older versions.

Take the OctoPrint Connection plugin as an example. Due to changes in Cura, there has only been one recent release (3.5 -> 3.6) where the plugin did not need minor or major changes to work with the next version, in a way that broke it for the previous version. If the version I released for Cura 2.7 would still be available in the 2.7 plugin browser, it would still work. But there's no way I'm going to be able to make a version that works correctly in Cura 2.7 and Cura 4.0.

• Like 1

The one way I can come up with that would to do that is to use the register function as a factory (eg; Check API version, return different object depending on the version). But that's far from ideal.

• Like 1