How would I create a profile with a new name using different calculated values from the default ones?

linear-eagle

Posted · How would I create a profile with a new name using different calculated values from the default ones?

Let's say I wanted to create a new Ultimaker S5 generic PLA profile with the initial layer speed (speed_layer_0) set to 40/70ths of the print speed (speed_print) instead of the 20/70ths from the profile provided by Ultimaker (speed_layer_0 = =math.ceil(speed_print * 20 / 70)). How would I do this?

Things I've tried:

1) Putting my changes into the extruder_left file for the profile in the quality_changes folder of my Cura configuration.

This almost works. The calculated value shows up correctly when initially switching to the profile, but if I change the print speed the initial layer speed does not get updated like the other calculated values do.

2) Copying one of the built-in quality files from the Cura installation into my Cura configuration quality folder, changing the name, and making my changes.

This also almost works, but in a different way. Instead of showing up as a new profile in Cura (with the new name) it seems to overwrite the built-in profile I based it on. For example if I copy the "Fast" profile, even if I change the name to "Fast2" it doesn't show up as a separate profile but if I select "Fast" in Cura my settings changes are applied.

Is there some key to getting this to work that I'm missing?

I'm interested in knowing how to do this partially out of curiosity and partly with an eye toward making improvements to the generic profiles better tailored toward my preferred print settings and the materials I print with with more flexibility than using absolute values as Cura does when making changes in the UI.

Posted · How would I create a profile with a new name using different calculated values from the default ones?

The point with quality profiles is that there can only be one given the quality type, variant, material, and machine. 

As we already provided quality for fast (For PLA, for AA04, for S5), you essentially override it if you put something in your quality folder.

I'd recommend installing the god-mode plugin https://github.com/sedwards2009/cura-god-mode-plugin if you want to mess around with settings a bit more, as it provides a pretty good insight into what Cura is actually doing (and what makes Cura give the values that it gives) 

On 1/21/2019 at 8:30 PM, nallath said:

I'd recommend installing the god-mode plugin https://github.com/sedwards2009/cura-god-mode-plugin if you want to mess around with settings a bit more... 

Thank you making me aware of this plugin. I think this will be really useful.

(I would hit the Like button, but apparently I have 'liked' too many posts today already. 😉 )

Cheers, Susi.