3D Printing Pavilion

Stefania Dinea

Posted (edited) · 3D Printing Pavilion

On the principle of go big or go home - I would like to present to the community my 2019 personal project. EQUILIBRIUM 3D PRINTED PAVILION which will be build by the online 3D printed community in Sweden and also open for international contributors. The pavilion will be assembled on site during the 3D Meet-up Sweden 2019. 

April 27-28, 2019 // Helsingborg, Sweden

EQUILIBRIUM-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.378c36f419c31bb55cf8fb48b2e7e078.jpg

General info about the project:

The goal is to build a fully modular structure produced entirely on modern desktop 3D-printers. With the help from the 3D community in Sweden and around the world we aim to complete this project and assemble it during the first day of the event. The structure, composed of 216 pieces (72 unique) has a circumference of 3,5 meters and the height comes in at a total of 2,4 meters. The assembly is done through a pin connection system that remains unchanged throughout the entire structure.

Each piece has been designed to fit on a printer with a build size of at least 200x200x200mm, but many pieces will surely fit on machines with an even smaller build volume. This means that almost everyone should be able to participate. See below for a quick rundown of the recommended print settings.

• 0.2mm layer height
  • no support material
  • 2 or 3 outer perimeters
  • 5% infill – triangle pattern
  • material of your choice (PLA is good)
  • color of your choice

We’re certain it will look really cool with all different colors once it’s all assembled. For every piece you also NEED to print 4 pins (included in the link). We recommend that you print the pins with a high percentage of infill, if not solid, and a fair amount of outer perimeters as they need to be sturdy. Depending on your settings, a normal piece takes around ~5 hours to print and consumes about 120g of material.

img_8564.thumb.jpg.1af4f0ae4f247000e8a572291c57c5a9.jpg

Inspiration:

I have been talking for over a year of making a 3D printed pavilion ever since I saw the Vulcan Pavilion. What I didn't quite agree with was the use of glue in the assembly - other than that - great idea. 

laboratory-for-creative-design2.thumb.jpg.65121b9ae35453e2e6717d02d6690832.jpg

If you are considering to join in please do so here:

https://3dmeetup.se/community-print/

More details about the process here:

https://www.dineadesign.com/2019/01/09/equilibrium/

Edited by Stefania Dinea
  • Like 3

Posted · 3D Printing Pavilion
1 minute ago, Smithy said:

Great project and a lot of work.

When is the meetup, I could not find a date? 

Maybe I will contribute and print some parts 🙂

Thanks, it will be a lot of work, and any help is highly appreciated. Here is the info you asked for:

https://3dmeetup.se/

April 27-28, 2019 // Helsingborg, Sweden

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

Ok, 93 days to go, but we can achieve the goal 🙂

I am on board and print some parts - I really like the idea!

Please feel free to use any colors you want -- the community voted for rainbow mode 🙂

That's awesome.

Can you claim one piece for a start, if you're n ot sure you can print more, then claim more afterwards if you realize you have free printer time to do so?

• Like 1

Yes, you can, because I claimed now 10 pieces and got an email with the information, that I can claim more if I have time to print. So feel free to start with one piece.

@Stefania Dinea: Should I print the 10 pieces in different colors, or do you think it doesn't matter for the number of total pieces?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Yes, you can, because I claimed now 10 pieces and got an email with the information, that I can claim more if I have time to print. So feel free to start with one piece.

@Stefania Dinea: Should I print the 10 pieces in different colors, or do you think it doesn't matter for the number of total pieces?

I think you should feel free to print exactly how you want them - the A pieces I have claimed are all black - because I am going through one roll at a time - I could have been more creative --- but it was during prototyping phase so I did not put accent on color (also I personally own only black and white at home)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brulti said:

That's awesome.

Can you claim one piece for a start, if you're n ot sure you can print more, then claim more afterwards if you realize you have free printer time to do so?

Yes, you can just take one piece at a time.

• Like 1

The pieces have a "strange" geometry and I am not sure how I should place them on the build plate. Because of the height and the small base, I am not sure, that the part will not be kicked off in the higher layers. Lay them flat on the build plate is also not possible, because the part is slightly concave.

Let's see, but it is not a quick and dirty job what I have seen. But I haven't tried to print them, just sliced some parts yesterday. 

One more question: Do you really need 4 pins for every part? I am asking because most of my parts just have 2 holes, or are the other pins just a spare part?

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

The pieces have a "strange" geometry and I am not sure how I should place them on the build plate. Because of the height and the small base, I am not sure, that the part will not be kicked off in the higher layers. Lay them flat on the build plate is also not possible, because the part is slightly concave.

I know but it will print if you place them with the bottom flat on the base plate - however small print speed it recommended like under 70 mm/s — the holes are self supporting so no support requiered - I do recommend a brim.

Let's see, but it is not a quick and dirty job what I have seen. But I haven't tried to print them, just sliced some parts yesterday. 

I did it quick and dirty - will share my settings tomorrow 🙂 what UM are you using??

One more question: Do you really need 4 pins for every part? I am asking because most of my parts just have 2 holes, or are the other pins just a spare part?

No - the amount of pins should be equal to the amount of prins requiered for the top side. It was said mire as a safety measure in case people were to lazy to count. Check the tolerances 😉 

First part finished a few minutes ago, and it was ok. But I placed the part to the side, that it is not too high because I want to avoid a brim if possible. But putting the object on the side is not possible with all objects, so I have to use a brim anyway.

I am printing currently with my S5, so I don't have to take care about how I place the model on the build plate, and I use similar settings you have attached in the project folder and I use also the 0.8 print core. 

Yeah, tolerances could be a problem with so many different printers. You should take some sanding paper and a drilling machine with you when you start combining the objects 🙂 But I will make sure, that my pins fit into the parts. Usually, I have to drill the hole a little bit, but depends how much clearance you have designed. Let's see, currently, I have no pin printed yet.

• Like 1

Short update about printability: The 0.8 print core is not a good idea, the overhangs get terrible with the 0.8 core, so I switched now to the 0.4 and it is a big difference. Print time is nearly the same, just a few minutes more. I also recommend 8-10% infill to support the holes better and print slower than 70mm/sec.

Clearances of the holes and pins are very good, no problems to insert the pins. They are quite loose, so no press fit - just as information, I don't know if this is the expected behavior.

And now, back to printing 🙂 

• Like 1

@Smithy the 0.8 works for me - since I use filaments that have fibers and clog 0.4 so 0.8 work just fine in this situation - so I guess depends on the material as well. Glad you found a setting that works. The pins can alter if I made them to tight fit. If there would have been printed all on the same printer with the same settings then it would have been a different story.  Thanks for the update. 

• Like 1

You are right, for sure it depends on the material. But I was confused, I expected much more time savings, a part with 0.8 took 4h and the same part with 0.4 4h20. But due to the fact that both are printed with 0.2 layer height, the saving is not so big.

I claimed now 27 parts totally, and it will be funny to print all the pins for the parts - like a mass production 🙂 

• Like 1

@Smithy personally I am a huge fan of the 0.4 - it’s my everything nozzle however some materials tend to not agree with it (i am talking here about non ultimaker brands) - so i am trying to empty my entire pla collection on this job. I am sure when I will have a backyard I will print the whole thing for myself. The initial pins were a part of the pieces on one side - but due to different printers and tollerances I thought I shouldn’t risk it.

1BD78857-B2F8-4F8A-92DA-D63EE4E746FE.thumb.jpeg.5b091cdcf7d8058c62c241a1342f2805.jpeg

5E70F460-7AE8-4884-86DD-AA6BAC528ADB.thumb.jpeg.9f6ea1d4f50624a1dec5e572a1a5cdf0.jpeg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stefania Dinea said:

The initial pins were a part of the pieces on one side - but due to different printers and tollerances I thought I shouldn’t risk it.

It was a good decision, with separate pins you have much more possibilities if something doesn't fit on the day of putting all together. But to be on the safe side, bring some sandpaper (~200) and a 9.5mm and 10mm drill with you. So you can adjust pins and holes in case something doesn't fit. And some tapes, in case a hole is too big, that you can make the pin thicker.

Must be really funny to build this pavilion together and I guess, logistic is half the work 🙂 

@Smithy - the tape idea is really good - i was thinking more towards glue gun 🙂 - but tape is better. Logistics is what I am interested in the most , followed by cost and a lot of comparison between 3D printing and other fabrication methods. 

• Like 1

@Stefania Dinea Can you please check the diameter of the holes in your design. Should they have 9, 9.5 or 10mm ?

And one more hint: Don't bring a drilling machine, use something like that to drill the holes manually, otherwise you would melt the holes.

IMG_0577.thumb.jpeg.bdab683db0b43fd17a61c9e2b3123c0b.jpeg

Finished printing my 27 parts 🙂

The pins took really long, I underestimated it. Cura said 3 hours for 10 pins, but actually, it took 8 hours. So 8 batches with 8 hours per batch to get 80 pins = 64 hours print time just for some pins - crazy world 🙂 

IMG_0611.thumb.jpeg.5b46b2b378eadd5f648ab92f6bbd5679.jpeg

IMG_0612.thumb.jpeg.e7487c70e25634a482876a8b3b4600ff.jpeg

• Like 2

@Smithy - omg - they look so cool - can I share these photos - do you have an instagram account I can tag you in? I am so happy they are so colorful - mine are all black and white - habit of profession :))

Edited by Stefania Dinea

Of course you can share the photos, but unfortunately, I have no Instagram account (I don't like Facebook 🙂) But feel free to use the photos as you want.

I have to find a suitable box, but I will send you the parts during the next week.

Please do not forget to take a lot of pictures and post it here, that we can see the result of the project.

Good luck for the next 2 days!

@Smithy - I am already in Helsingborg - just had my dinner - going for a stroll and then off to the venue to leave my parts there 🙂 and see how things are going to kick off for tomorrow - will take lots of photos and come back with a remark post about it.The most important thing is that it was 100% crowd funder and finished ahead of time - now come what may 🙂 

C0B77157-ADA0-47CE-B9E7-3343268BC49F.jpeg

• Like 1

@Smithy we are going to do a timelaps which is awesome also if you have instagram i will post live updates on my main account @dineadesign 🙃

Edited by Stefania Dinea