Help me understand MAXIMUM RESOLUTION setting

sibianul

Posted · Help me understand MAXIMUM RESOLUTION setting

Hello everyone, this week I made a few more tests regarding MAX resolution setting and I'm curious what does that number mean? because 0.01 is a very small number, increasing that to 0.1mm fixed my stuttering issue, on round objects printed in high speed (I think 100mm/s and up is high speed). 0.1mm is still a very small number, but with this setting all my arc's are made from ~5mm long straight segments, when I first used the MAXIMUM resolution setting I hoped that will be the MINIMUM distance between 2 X - Y points, but what I discovered is far from this.

The model I attached was exported from Fusion, to be sure the model is not the problem (I mainly exported my models on MEDIUM setting from Fusion) I manually set the resolution of the model to 0.002mm when exported from Fusion.

Than played using Cura MAXIMUM RESOLUTION Setting, a week ago I discovered that if I use 0.1mm resolution I don't have any stuttering issue , but this introduced a new problem, the round model is made from quite long ~5mm straight segments, as you can see in print #1 and #2

875503378_resolutiontests0.1mmto0.01mmanddifferentwallsetings.thumb.jpg.1469b44bf0f2b933e1f86ba96b2c7dfe.jpg

Print #3 still has the stuttering issue that affected all other print (4, 5, 6), but because I tried the option to print OUTER WALL FIRST, is not visible on the outside, only on the inside, but the seam on the outside wall was quite ugly on #3, this was printed using 0.01mm MAXIMUM RESOLUTION and outer wall speed of 50mm/s and inner wall speed 100mm/s

In this video you can hear the stuttering issue i'm talking about at second 16, this was a different part, but when that stuttering thing happens, the part will look like prints #4 - #5 or #6 above.

My printer has a MKS GEN 1.4 controller, I use leadscrews instead of belts and 4Amp steppers (KL17H248), I print over OctoPrint as I hate moving around with the SD card (at high speed the stuttering issue still happens when file is loaded from SD). What I don't know, is if I will buy a 32bit controller like MKS Base 1.3, will that help reduce or get rid of the stuttering issue ? I think the my 8bit controller board is not capable of receiving that many gcode lines / second, it's just my opinion, I really want to hear other opinions too.

Also, my current speed settings are 50mm/s on outer walls, 80mm/s on inner walls, I also tried inlay with 100mm/s and 120mm/s .. is this high speed ? What are you guys currently use when printing larger parts like the one I attached, which I think is a great model to be printed fast, if 100mm/s is fast to you too (when I builded this printer, the speed I hoped to be able to use when printing, was 100mm/s, I'm quite close .. but not just there yet 🙂 )

calapod v3 - curve - ultra high 0.002 deviation.stl

resolution tests 0.1mm to 0.01mm and different wall setings.jpg

calapod v3 - medium - test.gcode

calapod v3 - ultra high model and 0.01mm resolution - optimize wall order - flow 80p - test.gcode

Thank you for confirming that something is weird, but theoretically, the maximum resolution will be the minimum distance between 2 points, in the gcode x / y coordonates

Just wanted to say thanks: I've been struggling with this issue for two years and this is the first official forum to have a post about this. I actually came upon this solution on my own by tuning the max resolution, but in the process, I bought a new raspberry pi, 2 new printer boards, and did a lot of work on my machine. Thanks!

@1Ghasthunter1 have you tried an 3d bit board ? I'm curious if this will solve the issue, if the board is able to process more gcode lines at once.

On my new computer I have issues with the latest Cura master version, it crashes very often, but with official Cura i think the resolution setting still doesn't do anything, I set the maximum resolution to a high number, like 2, 3 and 5mm .. but the gcode as almost the same number of lines, and the printer is making the stutering noise almost on all lines of the attached model.

I have tested IdeaMaker 3.4.2 slicer, and the result is much better, and actually if I change the value of MINIMAL SEGMENT LENGTH something is changing, in good or bad depanding if I decrease or increase the value. I don't want to move to another slicer, and really hope you guys (ultimaker team) can solve those bugs. It's all because the printing speed is high (100mmps) and the code still generates many small segments even if the resolution was set to an very high number, like 5mm! 

For example MINIMAL SEGMENT LENGTH (set in IdeaMaker) to 0.1mm creates a curve with quite visible straight lines (~about 3mm long),

image.thumb.png.2d2764ddc08214fe308c18ec6b0907dc.png

but if I decrease that value to 0.05 it actually creates a beautiful surface with no stuttering noise on the printer, there is just an tight internal arc that is generating some stuttering noise

image.thumb.png.e18e2d046ca49509a31eeb3917290976.png

Orange model is printed using Cura 4.4, Black model is printed using Idea Maker (I don;t like the seams and top surface with IdeaMaker, but probably by tweaking settings those issues can be fixed)

IMG_2433.JPG

calapod v3 - cleme mai lungi cu 2mm.stl

Hello @sibianul, I don't know if you have tried my Cura builds but they contain fixes that could be relevant to your issue. If you want to try them go to https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0

They can be installed alongside the UM releases without conflict. Please read the README.md file that's there.

Posted (edited) · Help me understand MAXIMUM RESOLUTION setting

I only worked with Cura master build, but I don't know why on my workshop PC, the version I installed about 30 days ago, it crashes very offten. Since than I installed the official release.

Why Cura master doesn't have a version number in Help -> About window?

I installed 2019-11-28 version now, and will see if it does crash again.

In preview mode I still think Cura does nothing when I alter the MAXIMUM RESOLUTION setting, I increased it to 10mm  , and I still see all the lines curved beautifully. If it will limit the segment minimum length to 10mm the model should be a very low poly model.

image.thumb.png.a0b1d3448d4c35bf24a237bea157c400.png

I haven't tried to print but I'm sure the printer will make that weird noise even with the Cura master 2019-11-28 version, and when it does the LEDs on the board are blinking so fast as it creates the impression they are full on, I attached the 3mf file and gcode file. Here is a sectionof the gcode, line 100 to 106:

G1 X119.017 Y185.093 E5.69214
    G1 X119.172 Y185.868 E5.74932
    G1 X119.247 Y186.638 E5.80528
    G1 X119.291 Y187.558 E5.87191
    G1 X119.289 Y188.349 E5.92913
    G1 X119.207 Y189.136 E5.98637
    G1 X119.046 Y189.911 E6.04363

This was generated even if I set the MAXIMUM RESOLUTION to 10mm, I know this number is way to high, but I wanted to see if cura does anything when modifying that setting, and I think it doesn't changes anything. Maybe there is another setting I should make, or maybe there is a bug, and cura ignores the number set for MAXIMUM RESOLUTION

calapod v3 - cleme mai lungi cu 2mm res 10mm.3mf calapod v3 - cleme mai lungi cu 2mm Cura Master res 10mm.gcode

Edited by sibianul

28 minutes ago, sibianul said:

I only worked with Cura master build, but I don't know why on my workshop PC, the version I installed about 30 days ago, it crashes very offten. Since than I installed the official release.

If you had bothered to open an issue I could have helped find out why it was crashing. You know unless problems get reported, they are unlikely to get fixed.

If you are using Windows and you had previously installed one of my releases earlier than 1012 then you must remove the old installation before installing the new one (otherwise it will not start up).

I will check it in the next days, to see how stable 2019-11-28 version is (btw, how to see the version number? you mentioned 1012 .. but as I mentioned in my last post, in Help - About there is no version, for cura master 😞 )

But regarding MAXIMUM RESOLUTION setting, could you see any change in the gcode if you alter that setting? with any model, not just mine, because I think that option is totally ignored, in both versions, official, and cura master too.

In the GCODE I posted above, isn't it weird to see so many lines with points so close one to another, if I used MAXIMUM RESOLUTION 10mm ? This is why I think that setting is ignored.

PS . Where to report bugs/crashes in cura master? are there any logs generated? (haven't looked in the install folder yet, but iof there are any logs , let me know the location, I can send it if it helps)

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, sibianul said:

Where to report bugs/crashes in cura master

Will you please read the README.md that goes with my releases. It will help.

Now I know where to write about bugs 🙂 Thanks.

But what about my questions, does anything change when you alter the MAXIMUM RESOLUTION setting ? I can't make any version of Cura to generate a low poly model by adjusting that option, this is why I think it's ignored completely.

Here is the same model, in ideaMaker, something is changing when I increase that number

image.thumb.png.6d27c3a2fc5a551c49c3206485c4f891.png

There are two settings in Cura that affect how models are simplified. By simplified, I mean that the number of vertices in the outlines are reduced which has the effect of increasing the length of the remaining lines that make up the outline.

Max Resolution - vertices will be removed so that the remaining lines are not smaller than max resolution as long as doing so would not cause the resulting outline to deviate by more than Max Deviation.

Max Deviation - the maximum amount the outline is allowed to deviate from the original shape when vertices are removed.

In practice, Max Deviation is in control because if that is small, the vertices will tend not to be removed even though the remaining lines are shorter than Max Resolution. You need to make both Max Resolution and Max Deviation larger to get that "low poly" effect.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Thank you, I think this was it, I haven't changed / didn't know about MAX DEVIATION setting, it makes sense now. I will make some test and let you know.