Supports for tall thin objects

bman

Posted · Supports for tall thin objects

I would like a method to provide supports for tall thin objects, like long bolts, where a support structure could be provided along side the model. The supports should be customizable in size and with branches connecting, to the model, a defined intervals. This would look similar to a support tower used on rocket launch pad to support the rocket. 

Thank you

Not possible in Cura, you can only draw your support structure yourself in your CAD software when you don't want the default support options.

Doing in CAD is possible but then I can not choose a separate material for the support interface layers, i.e. PVA. I have a dual extruder system.

Maybe it is something the developers could add in the future.

Thank you

Of course, you can. You only have to design it in different bodies or spilt your body afterward. Then export both to Cura, assign the extruders to it, select both parts and click on merge objects. All parts will get in the orientation as you have it designed and exported and your print will use both extruders.

I think I understand what you are suggesting but how will this allow me to use the PVA only for the interface layers? From what I can see this will allow me to make all of the support structure out of PVA or the main material. Is it not the slicer that determines which support layers are to be printed with which material?

It is possible, then you have to set both the model and the support to Extruder 1, so everything will be printed with Extruder 1. Additionally, configure the "Support Roof" option and set the Support Roof to Extruder 2. So your support will be printed with PLA for example and just the roof of the support (1 mm) will be printed with PVA.

But, you should test if this is really a practical solution, because PVA sticks well to the glass, but not so well to PLA. So it can happen, that your "roof" doesn't stick well to the underlying PLA support structure.

It still would be a valuable addition to Cura, if those supports were generated automatically within the slicer. Some complicated shapes would require expert level skills to design those supports in CAD, it would be enormous amount of work to adjust things like gaps or intervals for each model, each material, temperature... we often use third-party model and have no access to CAD file and/or software. Was waiting for such supports too.