Temperature Controller for Heated Bed Plate?

Posted · Temperature Controller for Heated Bed Plate?

I am about to put together a heated bed plate for my Ultimaker and I am unsure how to control the temperature of the PCB for the bed Plate.

1. Should I connect to the Ultimaker with a relay?

2. Should I connect to an external controller? If so which type?

I have a 8.5" x 8.5" PCB Heatbed MK1, a 9.5" x 9.5" x 1/4" Aluminum Plate, a 9.5" x 9.5" x 3/16" piece of High temp Ceramic Glass, a Thermistor, a12v external Power Supply, and Ceramic Mill Board to insulate between the heated components and a acrylic plate to mount it to the z-stage, and Kapton Tape.

I am open to either way. I am just trying to figure out which way provides the best and safest connection for me and the Ultimaker.

The nice thing about running HB through UM is that when the print finishes it automatically shuts off the HB. That's probably the only reason but it's a pretty good reason. If you start a print and then go out to lunch or go to sleep or get a phone call or whatever, it kills HB power when done so when you come back your print is ready to pop off the bed.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Could you suggest a specific relay to use to connect the PCB to the Ultimaker? The Wiki states that a protection diode is recommended, do you know what kind of diode?

I just started to get into electronics last year so this stuff is still very new to me.

This is true. The flyback diodes are already there so don't worry about diodes.

Thanks for the wiki link, it is informative. I have a thermistor, would you recommend using it or a thermocouple? If a thermocouple, what type?

This one is great:

https://ultimachine.com/content/thermistor-100k

And pay the extra dollar for the sleeves. Note that ultimachine is not associated with ultimaker.