Jump to content
cairn

electric shocks from UM2 ext

Recommended Posts

Posted · electric shocks from UM2 ext

I know there are a couple of old posts about this issue on the board already, but I'm getting regular shocks from my machine. I even get zapped inserting the SD card.. can't believe it doesn't wipe the data!

I can't believe it's static buildup as it happens every few minutes. Also, never happened before with the machine in the same position, same power outlet, same environmental factors etc..

Anyone know where I should look for a cause?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · electric shocks from UM2 ext

Is the power socket you plug the power supply in properly grounded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · electric shocks from UM2 ext
43 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Is the power socket you plug the power supply in properly grounded?

Same socket it's always been plugged into.. Can a socket become non-grounded? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · electric shocks from UM2 ext

It could be that it has never been properly grounded, and something else on the same group has recently started to leak some charge to the ground. Try plugging the printer in in another part of the house (eg the kitchen, which is usually on a group of its own)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · electric shocks from UM2 ext

An electric fault could of course be the cause, or a ground-wire with high resistance. Let's say you have a ground-resistance of 25 ohms, and a fault current of 4A (=not enough to trip the fuse), then you would get a voltage of 100 Volts on the ground pin of the socket. However, if this would be the cause, then it should happen every time you touch the frame of the printer, and *as long as you keep touching it*.

 

If it is only a short shock and then nothing, it is static charge which is discharged when touching a grounded frame. So I would guess it is the latter? Maybe due to a change in clothes (wool, some synthetics?), or different shoes? Or very dry and cold weather?

 

Or some other equipment that charges up, which transfers its charge to you, and then you discharge it via the printer and ground? For example old monitors with CRT tube were known for this.

 

Try attaching a voltmeter to the ground-pin. If it is static charge, it will be very hard to measure due to the input resistance of the meter being too low and the charge leaking away. However, if it is a fault, it should be very easy to measure (try both AC and DC).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
      Ultimaker Cura 4.0 is mainly focused on the improved user interface and cloud integration.
      As always, we want to collect your user feedback for this release. If there are any improvements you can think of, feel free to mention it here and help us to shape the next release.
      • 98 replies
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!