Random Surfaces in Hollow Prints Please Help

Posted · Random Surfaces in Hollow Prints Please Help

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner at 3d printing and cura and I have some issues. The first one is my print that I am trying to print is a flat surface with a design in it that is hollow. The only issue is when I place it flat onto the print surface in cura, in layer view it fills up those gaps and puts random layers in it so its not hollow. But if I make it print upwards it doesn't but then I have tonnes of supports and it takes more time. Here are some images below and the actual file. I kind of need it to print lying down flat. Can someone please help.

Game Cabinet .stl

2019-02-11 16_10_05-Microsoft Edge.png

2019-02-11 16_11_05-.png

2019-02-11 16_11_40-.png

2019-02-11 16_11_55-.png

Yeah, that model is seriously messed up. Here is what 3DS Max's STL checker says:

OpenEdges.thumb.jpg.2fa5c77e22a19ac0051547971bdb3d7b.jpg

1,425 errors and they are all Open edges. That would be what is call a non-manifold object. Cura is attempting to close the holes by connecting those open edges.

I am going to venture that this model was made in sketchup. Or even downloaded. Keep in mind that while downloaded models are free, they are messed up many times.

If you made it, I would suggest a program that would create a watertight or manifold object. All edges welded and all vertices welded.

Ahhhh, sketchup bites another person in the patootie. Glad you got it sussed out :)

Yeah. It only works on some designs. I need to redesign it in blender

16 minutes ago, 3DPrintingPro-JustBeginner said:

Yeah. It only works on some designs. I need to redesign it in blender

👍