UMS5 unloads cold + some UI glitches

Nicodema

Posted · UMS5 unloads cold + some UI glitches

I can't seem to find any other reports of this odd behaviour, but on my S5 when I want to change filaments, hitting unload doesn't cause the hot end to heat up, it just goes straight to yanking the filament out of the print core, cold. This often causes a necking and snapping of the filament end, leaving a slug of old filament in the core, which then takes quite a while to flush through.

This can't be right, can it?

I also find that now and then the UI can get stuck waiting to detect something, like a new print core installation, which doesn't trigger. I've ended up having to power cycle the machine and try again to get it to spot the new core. Firmware is 5.1.8.20181207

11 hours ago, Nicodema said:

I can't seem to find any other reports of this odd behaviour, but on my S5 when I want to change filaments, hitting unload doesn't cause the hot end to heat up, it just goes straight to yanking the filament out of the print core, cold. This often causes a necking and snapping of the filament end, leaving a slug of old filament in the core, which then takes quite a while to flush through.

This can't be right, can it?

I also find that now and then the UI can get stuck waiting to detect something, like a new print core installation, which doesn't trigger. I've ended up having to power cycle the machine and try again to get it to spot the new core. Firmware is 5.1.8.20181207

Definitely not right; my S5 does not act as you’ve described.

I don’t have the solution but rather the confirmation that you need one.

Takes care

Normally after each print the material is retracted and can be removed manually or automatically cold. Your situation indicates there is something left in the nozzle that sticks, so try doing some cold and hot pulls to ensure everything is clean inside the nozzle.

Are you using a special filament or the default/normal ones? Or changed filament types?

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh, interesting. Thanks for that info.

I hadn't appreciated there was that post print retraction. So I guess the distortion of the filament end I'm seeing is actually occurring at the end of the print, rather than at the unload event.

That does reassure me somewhat. I was quite surprised that I was seeing such deformation without any sounds of struggling from the feed mechanism.

These are almost all First Party materials, I've only used a HIPS from Innofil, the rest are UM.

I guess some of these retractions end up leaving a bit more contamination in the hot end than ideal. I've done a few hot and cold pulls when changing material types considerably on the same print core. I will keep an eye on what I get out to see if there are any culprit materials that like to get stuck in the hot end.

Just change material manually, open the lever on the feeder and pull it, it will give you a feel for how many resistance there is. I only change material manually on S5 and UM3 and never had the material stuck, the retraction at the end of a print seems to work just fine for me.

It may be a bit oldschool but the manual way is just a lot faster... set the material type by selecting "select type" in the menu behind the dots.. If you load manually push it all the way to the end and then retract a few mm to avoid a too big prime blob..

image.png