first few layers drift

yunnikong-sozai

Posted · first few layers drift

I can't see any images in your album, but if the layers are moving slightly - a few mm or less - it's probably due to a loose pulley; most likely the ones on the short belt for whichever axis is having the problem. Tighten them a lot, and also try using a permanent marker to mark the position of the pulley on the shaft, and see if it moves.

If it's a big movement - like a cm or more - it's either a really really loose pulley, or else the motor is skipping steps on fast moves at the end of the layer. Try powering off the printer, and moving the head by pressing gently on the sliding blocks with your fingertips, and see how easily (or not) it moves. If you find it hard to move, or one axis is harder, check that the end caps aren't pressing too tight on the rods, stopping them rotating; check that all the rods and belts are square and straight, and try adding some sewing machine oil to all the axes and cross-rods.

this approval process is annoying, As you can see from the photo the first 10 layers~ has shifted a bit, but the rest of it is fine.

I did another print of another model and the first few layers shifted in the X and Y direction, whereas in the first one it has only shifted in one axis. I am going to tighten the belts and do another print then report back.

It looks like all the movement is in X only. So you only have to pay attention to the X axis. 90% chance the problem is a loose setscrew like illuminarti says. Tighten all 6 of them! (6 - not 4). Consider using the extra ones supplied with the UM kit. The pulleys come with black set screws but the UM kit comes with better ones that are silver colored.

NO - don't tighten the belts. Tighten the little tiny set screws that keep the pulleys from spinning freely.

this approval process is annoying,

I think after a few posts the approval process stops occurring.

The approval process lasts for the first 5 posts only.

okay guys, thanks i will look for the tiny screws after i fixed this damned up printer with a loose heat sensor wire. my weekend has reduced itself to staying in the office tinkering with electronics!

i have been looking for the little set screws that keep the pulley from spinning freely, but they are not to be found, can someone point me to the right direction?

Yun

The black part in this silver pulley is the setscrew:

http://foehnsturm.com/3dp/ulitmaker-pulley-vs-lathe-pulley.jpg

There are 6 pulleys on each axis X,Y - 12 total. Each has 1 setscrew. You need to tighten all 6 X axis screws and maybe all 6 Y axis screws. Tighten them very hard.

okay guys, thanks i will look for the tiny screws after i fixed this damned up printer with a loose heat sensor wire. my weekend has reduced itself to staying in the office tinkering with electronics!

I'm jealous!

Have the same problem. Dont understand where the problem comes from.