Ultimaker 3

RamiR9

Posted · Ultimaker 3

I have recently decided to purchase Ultimaker 3 becasue of all positive reviews and the features it has.

Ultimaker 3 is perfect with printing PLA. I am printing extreemly small parts and extreemly large and it goes great.

However , i started printing ABS with the default cura settings , but the ABS is not provided by Ultimaker. (Third party , high end ABS).

My print did not stick well  on glass, with or without glue. I added a PEI layer on the glass . The part still delaminated sometimes and there was a lot of warping !

Posted · Ultimaker 3

To print successfully ABS you need to cover the front of your printer and maybe also the top, to keep the air warm inside during the print. For adhesion, the UM adhesion sheets or Dimafix or 3DLac spray helps a lot.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
    Posted · Ultimaker 3

So you are telling me a 3600+ $ printer does not come with a door.

I actually met yesterday with sales people from Ultimaker and voiced my feedback on the problem. The company does not sell a kit . I can only buy a third party enclosure or build one.

But I think Ultimaker 3 is the only expensive pritner without a door,very unique feature.

Posted · Ultimaker 3
    7 minutes ago, RamiR9 said:

I can only buy a third party enclosure or build one.

I'm sure you were informed about the advanced 3D printing kit for the Ultimaker 3? It also includes a front cover.

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3

Actually no. I was told there is no kit and i should go to third party. That was yesterday in Hannover.

I found it on the website now. https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/49779-installing-the-advanced-3d-printing-kit-for-the-ultimaker-3

The representative mentioned that a door i can buy or build would solve 80% of the problem.
    Third parties produce complete enclosure kits.https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/ultimaker-3-enclosure-kit/sk/MJPRFC8C

Edited by RamiR9

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3

I really like the product but it surprises me that for it to print the second most used filament like ABS you need to adjust the printer.

And again UM3 is not cheap. I just expect that at that price the door would be default.

I know there is the core exchange technology and that costs research and i am also paying for the research. I really like the printer reliability and quality, but for the price it should be a solid choice for PLA / ABS / Nylon print without adjustments.

Edited by RamiR9

Posted · Ultimaker 3

A front door cover is usually enough and in their advanced printing kit, a front cover is included. 

If you want to have a "real" door, then you can only check 3rd party solutions or buy the S5, which has the doors included.

Posted · Ultimaker 3

Thank you . I will be buing the S5 by the end of the year.

Posted · Ultimaker 3

Got the S5 yesterday . It prints great PLA / ABS .

Still getting used to the touch screen. Is there a tune option to adjust nozzle temperature during print ? I could not find that.

Posted · Ultimaker 3

I am not at my printer at the moment, but you should be able to get into the menu with the 3 dots in the upper right corner during a print.