klaus_kraemer

2 mm hole gets printed all solid

Posted · 2 mm hole gets printed all solid

I have built an adapter to mount on a syringe. Its hole width at the top should be 2mm in diameter.

CURA shows the hole and the dimensions seem to fit:

Cura.jpg.9130ce276acfb20ab70b6a7c83e26d8a.jpg

When this adapter is printed with a 0.8mm AA nozzle, the hole in the tip simply does not exist! The adapter is air- und watertight! I have experienced that they always tend to be too small -- but there is a real leap between 2mm and solid airtight

Is there a way to achieve exact inner hole diameters? 

Hi @klaus_kraemer, I sliced the top (narrow) part of your model and it printed very nicely using a 0.4mm nozzle and 0.5mm wide lines. Layer height was 0.1mm. I wonder if your print is suffering from overheating. You're actually printing very slowly (4mm/S) and maybe the nozzle is heating the model too much and so you are getting poor definition?

If you do try using a smaller nozzle and 0.5mm wide lines be sure to enable the overlap compensation and also set the Mininum Wall Flow quite high (I used 80%) as this will stop a lot of extra travel and tiny extrusions that would otherwise happen. Hope this helps.

Screenshot_2019-03-16_20-24-29.thumb.png.adbe8b9a5c6e82695aaf2c0aad7ccf98.png

Thank you @smartavionics!

I'll try your suggestions tomorrow morning. In the meantime I had also switched to a 0.4 mm nozzle. The hole has 1.7mm diameter instead of 2.4mm (I had it slightly widened before trying the new print).

Best regards

Klaus