Lost my Profiles when Updating from Cura 3.6 to 4.0

Northantsgun

Posted · Lost my Profiles when Updating from Cura 3.6 to 4.0

Hi all,

Newbie in need here! I've recently installed Cura 4.0 but after opening found that my profiles were no longer there, I then reinstalled 3.6 in the hope that they might be in there as 3.6 was uninstalled when 4.0 installed, still no luck.

I've looked on the forum to solutions to similar problems but the same resolutions haven't worked for me as yet as I'm unable to locate the profiles in any of the previous versions of Cura.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as these settings took weeks of tweaking to get right and would be a massive help to get these back!

Did you click the button to reset your profile because of corrupted settings? If so, cura zipped your settings so they won't cause this corruption. You can find it by going to help-> show config folder and then navigate one folder up.

Alternatively; it could be that you selected the option to remove all profiles when uninstalling cura 3.6. In that case, your settings are lost, as per your instructions. 

35 minutes ago, nallath said:

Did you click the button to reset your profile because of corrupted settings? If so, cura zipped your settings so they won't cause this corruption. You can find it by going to help-> show config folder and then navigate one folder up.

Alternatively; it could be that you selected the option to remove all profiles when uninstalling cura 3.6. In that case, your settings are lost, as per your instructions. 

I've just checked in both Cura 4.0 and the redownloaded 3.6 and went through each folder which I'm guessing gives me my answer... I probably should have read what I was agreeing to but it seems crazy to me that updating to a newer version of Cura would mean your profiles would be deleted! Starting from scratch it is, thank you for the help though!

• Like 1

If you remove the old version first, it asks if you want to remove everything. If you just install the new version this shouldn't happen.

I've only ever installed the previous version to Cura 4.0, never actually deleted it. I've remembered for the most part the more critical settings and tested things so far with good results so not the end of the world! Thanks for the help again though.

I agree that this as default behavior has the potential to shock/frustrate a fair amount of users (myself included). Yes, it is my fault for not reading carefully through the installation process, but I think deleting profiles should be a very intentional task, maybe only reserved for someone looking to remove the entire Cura software from their system due to lack of use, etc. (e.g. through a dedicated uninstaller separate from the update process). Having this in an update installer where careless users (myself included) are simply pressing enter to cycle through the GUIs can result in a fair headache. Simply changing the default to "No" when asked if the user wants to delete configuration files, such that mindless Enter keystrokes wouldn't result in profile loss, would save a lot of people headaches I assume. Just my 2 cents.

So I just did the same thing. I fixed it by going back to a previous restore point on windows 10 to the last backup before I installed the update and shazam my profiles are back saved to another folder then updated. Hope this helps someone else I believe Mac Os has time capsule that should produce the same results.

I just did the update and clicked next, next,next..... with out reading.

Yes my fault, but come on guys.

And did the same thing clearly this will be and on going issue.

Please change the installer to not delete profiles or move profiles before deleting so the user can re-import them.

This is not a hard thing to change for a coder.

I will do a restore and hope I can get them back.

Posted (edited) · Lost my Profiles when Updating from Cura 3.6 to 4.0

Same thing happened to me except I was very careful to make sure to NOT select to erase all my settings.

When I opened the software, NOTHING.  All gone.  Many, many tedious setting previously saved. Any help to find them would be greatly appreciated. This should never exist, to erase existing profiles.  What could that purpose even be? 

Edited by chrspurser