Can we Make ULTIMAKERS WONDER WALL together ? :-)

ian

Posted · Can we Make ULTIMAKERS WONDER WALL together ? :-)

Can we Make ULTIMAKERS WONDER WALL together ? :-)

I want to propose a fun project that all of us can be involved in and help each other.

Its really amazing having our 3D printers at home and in the office. spitting out beautiful models one after the other.

But as an observer of this growing community, we haven't really tried to help each other as one group on one project ? Using all our energy and print time and skills to make ONE !! object of amazing beauty together.

Can you imagine what we can do, when we put our resources together, we can make history :-) we can make art ;-)

So whats my idea ?

Well let me explain, I visited the big 3D print fair in Erfurt Germany this year and sadly found the ultimaker stand.. a very sad looking place.

The people were beautiful and the ultimakers were humming away happily.. but the overall BLING.. wasn't there.

Since then and from photos I have seen from New York Maker Faire, things have improved massively.. :-)

But... I still had a little idea playing in my head.. and I think I can still be done and should be done.

I want to design, print and construct an ultimaker wonder land... or wonder wall :-)

A wall of moving magic created through the mechanical movement of belt and gear driven creations.

A basic Willy Wonks Chocolate Factory of Colourful Happiness.

I can just imagine, people looking at this wall, thousands of colourful printed parts all working together, moving with one another, flowing from right to left like the wind is blowing through it..

Big flowers printed different colour leaves that move and turn...

Small little yellow and black fat bees flying around their bee hive...

I know ultimaker doesn't technically need this kind of promotion, but one thing should be said.. they chose not to sell out to big business, they kept their word to all of us and they are something really special. happy and creative. They deserve something amazing back from us ! :-)

And that's why we should join together, use youimage to coordinate our efforts and designs and make this happen.

I know I cant do this alone... but with enough amazing people beside me,, we can PRINT ANYTHING !!

Big hugs and let me know what you think guys ?

Ian :-)poster1.jpg

If you want it to be mechanical, perhaps we could design separate box or window which has standardised geared outputs and inputs. Then inside design something cool that moves.

Ideas are already buzzing in my head...or that might be the caffeine. Either way, so much potential!

A gorgeous 8 headed printwall constantly shooting automatic generated robots and bracelets at our audience!

this is what I mean :-)

but cooler. better and... very important.. modular ! so we can all add to this creation.. meaning it lives and grows as the community lives and grows.. Ian :-)

2698289246_6feea8d7cc.jpg

you really setup a beautiful stand Sander. great job and love the wall of ultimakers!

But what we are going to make for your company my friend.. will even top that ;-)

Ian :-)

this is what I mean :-)

but cooler. better and... very important.. modular ! so we can all add to this creation.. meaning it lives and grows as the community lives and grows.. Ian :-)

I like it but it is far too...2D.

All the motion is in one plane. We should try and go for motion in all dimensions if possible.

Perhaps we could all print small modular replicas of the Ultimaker frame (easy to get from the CAD files) then make stuff move inside. Stack these up to make a modular wall?

holy bananas... thats a super cool idea :-)

we all print out little minature ultimakers that connect into each other... then we leave the middle to our own little madness and stack them up making a wall..

i like it... i like it a lot ;-)

Ian

First thing that came to mind is a ballerina for my daughter :-)

Might print one anyway!

MiniUM

copied from the google group today.

Daid

clear.cache.gif

clear.cache.gif

15:10 (9 minutes ago)

Other recipients:

I think Ian means something like this:

but then smaller, and 3D printed.

I think Ian means something like this:

but then smaller, and 3D printed.

from todays google group

me (Ian Spring