aag

Adhesion sheets

Posted (edited) · Adhesion sheets

I have played around with adhesion sheets. The good news is that they are very practical indeed. Not only is adhesion better during print, but models with a large footprint are easier to remove from the plate without damaging the model. The bad news are:

• The sheets are not cut to match the glass plate. They are wider and their depth is less than that of the plate.
  • The reason for that is obvious. These are simply repackaged Avery sheets. The Avery code is L7567. In fact, most Ultimaker sheet do not have any imprint, but some are labelled "Avery L7567". How embarassing!
  • Ultimaker states that the sheets can be re-used, but I haven't yet be able to salvage a single sheet from damage by removing the model.
  • The sheets add to the overall printing costs, particularly if they can only be used once. They cost more than the original Avery.

In summary, adhesion sheets are a good thing. The advantages prevail over the drawbacks, and I am no longer printing without them. However, I find it a bit rich of Ultimaker that they do not even bother to ask Avery to produce sheets that are at least cut to size.

Edited by aag

Posted · Adhesion sheets

At the first two sheets I used, I bent the overhang over the edge of the glass plate and left it even after they "stretched" again (also a good grip for removal of the used sheet), meanwhile i cut them off (looks better, but it's harder to peel off an edge for removal).

Reuseability is good if not treated with sharp edges during removal of the print. I use plastic wedges to remove the print from the sheet (for example these: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:14672 ) and used the last adhesion sheet for nearly four (4!) months until i replaced it (one or two small cuts can happen and are ok, more are not esthetical anymore).

And of course, I don't use them, where not adviced (for example printing TPU).