Primesense Carmine 1.09 and USB 3.0 - A Cautionary Tale

mgg942

Posted · Primesense Carmine 1.09 and USB 3.0 - A Cautionary Tale

There seems to be an incompatibility between the Carmine 1.09 and USB 3.0 despite the listing of USB 3.0 as being a compatible data interface.

To my horror my Carmine 1.09 did not work on my shiny new Acer S7 392 (running Windows 8 64 bit) though it works fine on my desktop running the same version of Windows.

A quick Google search showed that I'm not the first to have this problem which is some slight comfort.

I saw this on the Primesense site: "The new firmware V5.8.22 includes support for USB 3.0 ...."

It is made clear that this new firmware is for the 1.08 only.

Perhaps a similar update for the 1.09 will solve the issue.

I emailed Primesense yesterday and will post their response.

Mike.

Posted · Primesense Carmine 1.09 and USB 3.0 - A Cautionary Tale

When I first started playing with 3D Scanning last year, I tried an Asus Xtion sensor (which I think is basically a Carmine v1.08) and it failed to work on my Retina MacBook Pro because of USB 3-related issues.

I switched to an XBox Kinect, and then to a Carmine v1.09, and those both worked fine for me on the MBP, however.