Display filename and layer on lcd

obrterry

Posted · Display filename and layer on lcd

In Post Processing, for Display Filename and Layer, what text do I enter to make this work? I’m using Windows 10, Cura 4.0 and my printer is a Powespec (Wanhao) I3 Duplicator Plus. I’ve tried several versions of things like “Filename, Layer#” but nothing works.

Ahoeben,

Thanks for your response. I tried your suggestion to leave the “enter text to display” field empty however, the LCD continues to display the filename of the print.

Ok, then it should work. Can you post a small gcode file somewhere for me to have a look at?

I assume you wanted to see the start G-Code? So I've attached a copy noting that there was no change to the code after initiating the Post Processing Display filename and layer.

I've also included a screenshot showing the text that I entered in the "text to display:" field. Again, I'm wondering if the problem might be the format of the text ie., does the text need to include colons, semicolons, quotation marks or some other specific format.

Screenshot (7).png

Cura 4.0 Start G-CODE.pdf

Posted (edited) · Display filename and layer on lcd

No, I meant a whole sliced gcode file. Just slice something small.

1 hour ago, obrterry said:

I'm wondering if the problem might be the format of the text

I am telling you, it isn't.

Edited by ahoeben

22 hours ago, obrterry said:

the LCD continues to display the filename of the print.

@obrterry what are you trying to achieve with this post processing script? It does nothing more than adding a line with gcode M117 for every layer.

What happens, if you remove the script entirely? Or with other words: are you sure that the displayed filename is related at all to a gcode command?

And are you sure that the firmware of your printer interprets M117 commands in the way that you expect?

Ahoeben,

Sorry about the misunderstanding, I've attached the gcode file for the smallest thing I could find. I hope this is what you wanted. Also I still have the post processing script as displayed in my previous screen shot.

WDI3P_TARDIS_lamp_shade.gcode

Tinkergnome,

The purpose of the Post Processing option "Display filename and layer on LCD" is to do exactly that. On the LCD screen where the filename of the object being printed is shown, this setting should then display the filename and the layer currently being printed.

My understanding is that you could put any text you want in the "text to display" field i.e. Merry Christmas, Happy Printing, Be Happy! and that would appear on the LCD instead of your filename currently being printed. 

In the Post Processing  there are also several other options such as "Pause at height", "Filament change", etc.

What I am trying to achieve is to learn why the post processing options do not work for me.

Posted (edited) · Display filename and layer on lcd

The gcode you posted is properly postprocessed to include the M117 gcode commands mentioned by @tinkergnome. If when printing this gcode file your printer display does not show "Layer # layer: 1" on the first layer (and so on), then this functionality is apparently not supported by the firmware of your printer. There is some evidence to support the latter theory: https://www.google.com/search?q=wanhao+duplicator+i3+plus+m117

Edited by ahoeben

Ahoeben,

Thank you for all the time and effort that you have put into this. It has been very educational and I’m very appreciative.

For now, I’ll stick with what I have and look into updating the marlin firmware at a latter date.