error "custom_extruder_..." cura 4.0. First layer problem

Posted · error "custom_extruder_..." cura 4.0. First layer problem

Hi all,

I thank you some help. I am (almost) new with Cura.

As I installed the 4.0 version some problems appeared (no problems with 3.6).

- I have an error message (attached). Suggestion given: "reset to factory default". Is there any way of avoiding this solution, I would loose all my configurations.

- Also, and I don't know if it is related, I have a part to be printed and I have chosen the whole first layer with Extruder 2 (1st layer, support, brim...), but in the preview it appears that Extruder 1 is printing this layer. The printer prints according to my settings, and not according to the preview.

So, is there any way of fixing this error without loosing my configurations? Will the fixing method remove the "preview" problem?

Thank you.

error_mens_Cura_4-0.JPG

cura_brim_setting_abraz_MOD.jpg

simply search for the keyword "ERROR" and you'll find:

[...]\AppData\Roaming\cura\4.0\extruders\custom_extruder_7+%232.extruder.cfg:
    custom_extruder_7 #2: Missing required section 'general' or 'version' property

Thank you tinkergnome  for your answer.

ok, I see how to find the problem, but how could I fix it? (I'm new and also I have no idea about Backend "things"). Or could you forward me to another thread in the forum with similar problem/fixing?

I looked for "error" in the file and... hundreds? thousands? 

The trick is to look for "ERROR" - in capital letters - there are only a few. 🙂

There are no public instructions or explanations about these files that i'm aware of.

Personally i would compare the file content with similar files in the same directory (if any).

I guess you can simply delete (or move) the file and it will be re-created during the next start of Cura.

(but keep the according *.json files).

If this doesn't work, you need someone that is more familiar with Cura config files...

Thank you for your tinkergnome answer.

That point about capital letters is crucial... I couldn't imagine that.

I will try to follow your advice.