Posted · turn off webcam Cura

Did you try the RC1?

What is the RC1?

From the beta page, 13.10-RC1

Hello Daid,

I've dowloaded this new beta version and installed it. Now i can print but the camera is still on.

Hello Daid,

I've dowloaded this new beta version and installed it. Now i can print but the camera is still on.

I have the same problem, is there a workaround? The issue is that if I first run Cura print the software I want to use for remote cam monitoring of the printer does not get access to the webcam. If I first run the monitoring SW, then Cura does not print.

I dont know what developement cycles you use, but such a small fix should not take 4 months to get a working version out. Anyone found a workaround yet?

I dont know what developement cycles you use, but such a small fix should not take 4 months to get a working version out. Anyone found a workaround yet?

Seriously? You think that is a proper motivation?

You have no idea what you are talking about. First off, the bug was reported a month ago, and I noticed it myself a week before that. So that 5 weeks, not 4 months. 5 weeks in which the whole company is buzzing with the UM2 release, I was working on the firmware for the UM2, added multiple-machines support to Cura, and fine tuned some of the new support material code, and added the YouMagine upload feature. And I did manage to find time for looking into it.

Next webcam drivers are odd things, as the fix (which was not a simple fix, as I totally had to change how I handled the webcam connection so it would not stay open unneeded), works on my laptop. But apparently not on all types of webcams/configurations.

So unless you send in a patch or pull request, you have no place in saying how easy or hard something is.

(I do know a quick workaround, not sure if you are worth it)

Hello Daid, I am really a noob when i comes to programming and i apriciate what you are doing for Cura. I'am still hoping you can find a fix for this bug.

Thanks

Haven't reproduced it yet, as the latest version works for me. But as a workaround you could delete the "vidcap.pyd" file from the Cura installation, this disables all webcam support.

Hey Daid, I'm having this problem as well. Deleting the vidcap.pyd doesn't provide a workaround. I also tried commenting out the webcam part in the __init__ section of the printer window gui. That didn't seem to work either.

Specifically I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro for notebooks, with the logitech drivers up to date.

When I open a program to record or stream the webcam, then open Cura and start printing usually the recording/streaming program ends up in a locked state while Cura keeps on printing. If I fire up Cura first and start printing then try to open the recording/streaming app both Cura and that program tend to lock up. The worst part of this is that ending the process does not work. The only way to terminate the locked programs is to force a reboot, where upon the shutdown process is interrupted by a blue screen and core dump pointing to USBSER.SYS.

I tried the 13.12-test version too, but that wouldn't even start printing. Cura would just lock up when I press print.

Anyway, I have had no other problems with this webcam or any of the recording/streaming apps used alone or in conjunction. Things only seem to lock up when Cura is running.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Following up, I installed manycam and the added virtual camera helps with this issue. No more crashing.

I too am using a Logitech "Quickcam Pro for notebooks" and am still having a problem with Cura (14.0.1 - the latest as of Feb 7, 2014) that will not release the webcam from the Cura recording, so that I can use a third party video conference product. I even tried to add another camera to my desktop, but apparently Cura took that camera as well.

Help!

I too am using a Logitech "Quickcam Pro for notebooks" and am still having a problem with Cura (14.0.1 - the latest as of Feb 7, 2014) that will not release the webcam from the Cura recording, so that I can use a third party video conference product. I even tried to add another camera to my desktop, but apparently Cura took that camera as well.

Help!

I actually got a chance to remove the vidcap.pyd file and restarted Cura. Yes - the Camera tab does not show up in the "Print" module, BUT the camera is still help hostage by Cura.