ColorFabb whites any good?

Posted (edited) · ColorFabb whites any good?

Hi I need some white PLA. My goto filament for years has been Faberdashery Arctic white  but they are out of stock of everything with a message saying they are moving premises see you later in 2019. Hell if I were moving my business I would not shut down production until the new premises were ready for me and then hopefully be down for 1 week absolute maximum. And I would tell my customers how long we planned to be down for. All sounds very dodgy and they have three goto filaments for me including the white and I am out of stock on two of them and not much left of the third.

So what about ColorFabb my other goto manufacturer. Arctic white is snow white, not a hint of cream anywhere or anything else. For a white it is very easy and consistent to use. Does ColorFabb have a white that meets those two requirements?

Edited by yellowshark

Posted · ColorFabb whites any good?

I print sometimes with the standard white of Colorfabb and it is great as all of their materials. For me it is white, but I can remember they also have a blueish white or something like that, maybe that meets more your requirements because I guess it is a real cold white.

I have printed quite a lot with colorFabb white (and other colors). Last time I ordered, they had two versions: standard white and blueish white: the standard white was a little bit creamy and warm white, definitely not snow white; while the blueish white had a faint shade of blue-grey. I guess this warm shade in the standard white is caused by their base material PLA/PHA ("naturel") also being creamy, like uncooked spaghetti. Both whites print okay, although not as smooth as colorFabb traffic red, dutch orange and naturel. But better than their signal yellow and intense green (spring green). Although the differences are minor. I guess this has to do with filler particles?

Also, the white causes a little bit more wear on the nozzle than dutch orange, also due to filler particles, I guess? This is visible after 10 spools. (I have one printer in which I printed mainly orange, and another in which I printed mainly white.)

Hi @Smithy and @geert_2 most helpful, it is always good to get feedback from users. Lol I think I am in a bit of a rock and a hard place here. I use the Arctic white for modern and retro architecture.

apart6a.thumb.jpg.fa78c57a483633cf417894af5eed2725.jpg

It s always difficult with colours on the web and colour calibration etc. but yes the Standard white does look a bit creamy. They also have a semi matt white but I cannot see any difference between the two, from the pics on the colorFabb site. Now the Blueish White is certainly different BUT could be an interesting replacement. I have a 3D shop about 40 mins drive away that stocks colorFabb so I think I need to take a trip there and try and see them in the flesh.

It is good to hear that you find them pretty easy to use; yes I love Dutch orange, a reel of that and ironically Blue-grey arrived this morning.  When I first started Dutch orange set the bar for me for quality of output; I have one, maybe two Faberdashery filaments that match it but I have never bettered it. I will let you know what I decide 🙂

Another possibility is to get your own white color from Colorfabb. They have already tons of colors already matched and you can order 1 750g spool only, so no need to buy more than one.

And also the process to match a new color is really amazing. I sent them the color codes and a few days later I got the samples. So I am sure if you want something like your artic color, send them a sample and you will get your own color based on this artic white. The costs are ok, the color on demand is a little bit higher, but within range for what you get.

Thanks @SmithyI am familiar with their on-demand service BUT I was not aware that it went down as low as 1 reel!😀I have just checked the RAL colour chart and their Pure White is what I need methinks. I shall get my order in and await  the sample 😃

I was also not aware of it, but I learned that when you buy the already matched colors, the minimum is 1 reel. Only for new colors you have to buy 2kg or 3 reels of 750g.