Magnetic closing system UM5 printhead to weak for BB08?

RudydG

Posted (edited) · Magnetic closing system UM5 printhead to weak for BB08?

Today i almost had a nasty experience, after i changed my nozzles to AA08 and BB08. When the print started the printhead fell open, and lucky for me i checked during the printbed heatup cyclus, otherwise it would be a certain crash!!

I experimented with all my print cores (i have 8 pieces, but only 1 BB08), and it seems that only the BB08 makes this happen. When lowering the nozzle, It pushes against the silicone piece (which i also changed) Core seems to be ok, can't see anything wrong with it.

At the moment i take no chance, and put a elastic around the printhead, to prevent it from opening during printing, and creating a major problem. Not an elegant solution, but i already saw someone else do this.

Anybody any tips?

Found this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3319232/comments

Seems to be the safe solution at this moment? Hello Ultimaker?

Edited by RudydG

Posted · Magnetic closing system UM5 printhead to weak for BB08?

are you sure you mounted the silicon pad correctly?  maybe share a photo or even better video?

Can you simulate by manually moving the BB core up and down (manually with the side lever) and will the head then pop open?

6 hours ago, RudydG said:

Found this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3319232/comments

Seems to be the safe solution at this moment?

I am using this latch on all my printers and it works fine. The Thingiverse latch is 1mm too long, so I redesigned it to get a better fit. S5-PrintHead.stl

8 hours ago, ultiarjan said:

are you sure you mounted the silicon pad correctly?  maybe share a photo or even better video?

Can you simulate by manually moving the BB core up and down (manually with the side lever) and will the head then pop open?

100% sure i mounted the new (and remounted the old on, which was'nt end of life)

And yes, it popped open when i manualy lowered BB down.

Posted (edited) · Magnetic closing system UM5 printhead to weak for BB08?

Thank you Smithy, the one on Thingiverse is quite lose indeed.

Gives me some reassurance 😉

Edited by RudydG

I just loaded the Thingiverse one in Fusion260 and cut 1mm out, so it is basically the same thing, just shorter 🙂