How to have your extruder move out of the way after each layer

NKthebomb

Posted · How to have your extruder move out of the way after each layer

I've just recently started making time lapses of my 3D printer but I really want to upgrade my abilities to be able to make those new time lapses were it looks like its forming out of nothing.

I use Ultimaker Cura 4.0 but I also have an older version of repetier and would like to know if I can do this in those programs

No, Cura cannot record videos. But there is a Python script which takes snapshots of the webcam and makes a video of it. Another user wrote a script which modifies the GCode, to move the print head out of sight, takes a snapshot and then continues the print. Then you get can this kind of video, where no print head is visible and the model just grows.

Search the forum here, it was a few months ago, but I cannot remember the thread exactly.

2 hours ago, NKthebomb said:

to be able to make those new time lapses were it looks like its forming out of nothing

This is often done using a plugin in OctoPrint named OctoLapse.

Posted (edited) · How to have your extruder move out of the way after each layer

I that free and straight forward Im pretty new at all this 3D printing and only started a few months ago but really want to make some cool content thanks for the advice I'm going to look into it I have another question would octoprint work on a tevo tornado

Edited by NKthebomb