Newbie having trouble slicing fine detail on mesh

TomB19

Posted (edited) · Newbie having trouble slicing fine detail on mesh

I'm using FreeCad v0.18 and Cura 4.0.0.  These tools are new to me.

I have a simple model that I want to emboss text onto.  Cura displays the text but does not slice it.  Slicing height is 0.15 so I set the text height at 0.45 but it still ignores it.  The text size is pretty large and I've tried increasing the size and the height to ridiculous proportions.

I haven't been able to get MeshLab working to examine the mesh but I will continue working on it.

Still, Cura displays the mesh when I open the .obj (alias mesh) in Cura.  The text looks perfect.  When I slice and preview, the text goes away.

Any help would be appreciated!  Thank you in advance.

- Tom

Edited by TomB19

Posted · Newbie having trouble slicing fine detail on mesh

Hello @TomB19, I tried loading that obj file into cura and it complained saying the file was invalid.

I then loaded it into FreeCAD and exported it as an STL which cura did load but then complained that the model wasn't watertight.

I then checked the original obj model in FreeCAD and it showed these errors:

Screenshot_2019-05-21_21-10-40.thumb.png.b4d35bac8f5fc9112f39b2285fcec41c.png

So perhaps the model needs fixing before you can print it?

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Newbie having trouble slicing fine detail on mesh

Thank you for the help, burtoogle.  🙂

I'm pretty confident the problem is with the font.  A different font solved the problem.

I thought it might be Cura, since it slices fine with Slic3r.

I can see the errors you indicate.  Thanks for showing me this technique.  I will play with the mesh and see if I can get this font working.

Cura is awesome.  I really appreciate this tool.  Thanks to all who have worked on it.  I've only sliced a few dozen things and already love it, compared to my old slicer.

I don't see a way to mark this "SOLVED".  If anyone finds this with a search, check your font.  Cura is functioning fine in this situation.

Edited by TomB19