Consistent Inconsistent/Uneven Layers After Upgrading Ender 3

JackL

Posted · Consistent Inconsistent/Uneven Layers After Upgrading Ender 3

OK.  I've had my coffee.  Sorry about the PLA color, but it's what was left over from the water filled stuff that Amazon sent me.  It's hard to photograph though.  Nice looking SUNLA silky silver that has no layer adhesion.

Attached are a Gcode file and a 3mf file.  I went with tree supports in those.  For the print below I only supported the box around that one hole.

In this image you can see the faceting of the curve.  The STL resolution is low to medium so it's not a problem.

There is an artifact to the right of the top hole.  It looks like the printer bounced after making the turn for the hole.  You can just make out an artifact on the left wall.  That was from the wall flexing as the printer made the turn.  The tall thin walls could use some support as they build up.  Maybe a 1.6 x 3mm rib on the inside if the design could accept that.

IMG_0001.thumb.JPG.cdf380b1c9ece2aaa4ed345caa503c23.JPG

Z seam was set to "right" and you can see that the right wing wall has blobs on the outside edge.

IMG_0002.thumb.JPG.9708bae36a3dcdbd6fb13fff6c449b1d.JPG

IMG_0003.thumb.JPG.eccbedac97e0a507095f90936860918f.JPG

The left wall.  Again, you can see the facets on the curve.  Changing the Mesh Fixes | Max Resolution didn't change anything.  It's that way in the STL file.

IMG_0004.thumb.JPG.c340dec027855b07ee5ccaba5114d88b.JPG

Good Luck!

GV-camera__Cover_GoPro.3mf GV-camera__Cover_GoPro.gcode

After several checks I found my one face that was getting inconsistent layers was caused by a lose x belt but more importantly was "racking", this is when one of the bearings on an axis binds occasionally because of misalignment.

On my Bcn3d the right hand side of the y axis was slightly forward of the left (used a jig to measure from a perpendicular straight bar, as my frame is a little bit skewed, could have also used a square against linear rails but again I though the skewed frame might throw off my measurements).

Ive also seen this on an A8 with smooth rods where one rod or bearing not aligned parallel to the other.

similarly on my cr10s I seen this on the twin leadscrews when one was worn more than the other.

So on an Ender (stock) I would replace the wheels on the Y axis because its probably one that drags intermittently, its very hard to see the level of wear on the wheel that can cause these things with the naked eye, just a piece of dirt , a crack , an out of round wheel (had those before egg shaped) or even the inner bearings could be shot. When you do replace them be gentle dont over tighten them, I ruined a few by learning the hard way and grinding flats on them.

hope this helps someone

I found this old post when I was looking around for an answer to a similar problem. I had this problem a while back and I fixed this by tightening 2 loose screws that hold the extruder, thus eliminating a wobbly print head.