disable wifi on Ultimaker S5

johnarild

Posted · disable wifi on Ultimaker S5

This is probably not the most common request, but how do I permanently disable wifi on Ultimaker S5?

I know the wifi can be turned off from the touch screen, but I want to connect the printer to a secure network where it is very important that the wifi is not turned on. Before buying the machine I got the impression that everything was open source and that this would be easy, but I was mistaken.

From reading Ultimaker 3 posts it sounds like it might be possible to ssh into the printer and disable wifi that way, but to do that I need a port and a password (port 22 was not open, which is probably a good thing).

Does anyone here know more?

Turning off the wifi via the menu should be enough, your wifi card is still there but it is not working at all. So don't worry if you connect it to a secure network, that someone can connect via wifi and access the network via ethernet.

If this is not enough you can ofc disable it completely via SSH. You have to enable the developer mode via the touch screen, then port 22 is available and you can login. I cannot remember the username/password, but you find it here in the forum. It is the same as for the UM3.

• Thanks 1

Thanks!

The problem with turning the wifi off in the menu is that the menu is accessible by the user. But if this machine is running Linux and I can SSH into it then everything is perfect.

The developer mode is grayed out at the moment, but that is probably because it's printing. In 21 hours it should be finished so I'll try then.

Doing a quick search it looks like the login is root:ultimaker

yes.  That's all correct.  You enable dev mode in the menu system somewhere.  But I don't think you can change it while it's printing.

Once you do that the ip address should be displayed (if it wasn't already) and you can ssh in.

I recommend you mess with internet using conman as that is the preferred utility for this distribution of linux.  Google about conman if you aren't familiar.  You can disable wifi that way.

• Thanks 1