Connecting Cura to a Duet board via network

jens3

Posted · Connecting Cura to a Duet board via network

I am building up a new printer and it has a Duet controller. I am now at a stage where I would like to try connecting the printer for some test prints. I have installed the Duet integration plugin although I am not sure it would make a difference at this stage. When I attempt to add a network printer to Cura, Cura tells me it can't find a printer but gives me the option of specifying an IP number which I enter. This is the same IP number I see the Duet web panel at. Cura now tells me that the printer is not responding.

Do I need to do anything different/additional in Cura to connect to the Duet ?

Do I need to set up config options on the Duet to allow it to talk to Cura ? (as mentioned/implied, the printer shows me the web panel and I can interact with he printer via the web panel)

A little bit of an update .... while I had installed the Duet extension/plugin, I had negleted to close and restart Cura. That has now been done and I get a new option under the 'extensions' tab. There I can configure the IP address of the Duet printer. I can also set up various credentials which I have left empty (Duet password, Http basic authorization - user and password). There is no button to 'save' the printer and the new printer does not show up as an option, even after a reboot.

Help ..... please .....

Ok, forget about the plugin. I included that information in case it was relevant. The important part is that I have a Duet based printer and I would like to use Cura as it's slicer. When I try to add a printer under Cura, it doesn't automatically find the printer (that is on the same network and that I can talk to via it's web interface) and when I give Cura the IP number for the printer, it tells me the printer is not responding. The end result is that I do not get a printer tab for the new printer and I can't set up the parameters that Cura should use when generating the slice code.

Any help that I can get to enable Cura to recognize the printer would be appreciated.

Just to be clear, I did not set up anything in the printer's configuration to specifically enable Cura to talk to it. The only thing that I set up is access to my wireless network which is why I can talk to the printer via the web panel.

Well, Cura needs the plugin to do all that stuff. By default, Cura only understands networked Ultimaker printers. Any other networked printers (like OctoPrint, or in this case Duet WiFi board enabled printers) need a plugin to add support to the networking functionality. The plugin basically tells Cura which networked printers it found and offers those to the discovery mechanism. If that for some reason is not working in your case, your best bet would be to file an issue with the plugin author.

OK, thanks, I was not aware of this interaction and I will contact the author.

Not sure it makes sense to bump this, but I just installed the Duet 2 wifi on my Ender 3, and I found this post running into the exact issue while trying to update Cura.  Curious if there are any updates to post?  I'm going to reach out to the plugin author as well and will update the post if I get a response.

On 1/6/2021 at 4:02 AM, Stockerbot said:

Not sure it makes sense to bump this, but I just installed the Duet 2 wifi on my Ender 3, and I found this post running into the exact issue while trying to update Cura.  Curious if there are any updates to post?  I'm going to reach out to the plugin author as well and will update the post if I get a response.

Responding to this rather Necro post, since I found this while looking for my CR-10S / Duet Maestro combo.

The good news is that Cura 4.8 (I think it was added in 4.7) now has the necessary updates via a included plugin called DuetRRF that has now been integrated directly into the Preferences-> Printer under network settings. Problem is now fixed.