is there a setting for this?

terramir

Posted · is there a setting for this?

I make alot of keychains they way cura handles this is to print infill below where the letters are that standout (yeah my keychains have names on them),

istead of making a solid layer on top and just print the letters above it. is there a way to convince cura to print the top 3 layers before the letters as solid layers and then print the letters on top of them? Anyone know any trick I could use?

terramir

Can you post a picture what you mean exactly, because you should get the needed top layers out of the box. Make a screenshot of the Cura layer view, then we can see what you mean.

Try setting the Minimum Infill Area, that was intended to do exactly what you are talking about. Another setting that may help is the skin expand distance.

I tried minimum infill area and well it still does this weird infilling in the name pattern below the letters solid but not the letters themselves I dunno maybe I have to slice a blank key chain and then cut and paste and use a g92 command at the transition layer height Although now it is solid beneath the letter thank you for that. I am currently working with petg and honestly this stuff might be strong but when it comes to closing the infill even 4 layers do a lousy job under 30% infill but it's part due to the pattern I think if I can get it to just do a regular top concentric instead of these short moves I might have better luck I think yeah I should position four blank keychains in the exact same positions copy and paste the print from the beginning to the letter layer height after I noted down the last E position on the file with the names and this way I won't have this problem will take some gcode hacking but it should work.

20190704_021420.thumb.jpg.b95d0b53a13d8f279b2fc6cab96c6dd1.jpg

Actually I reviewed the gcode  in pronterface even with the minimum area dialed up to 40mm^2 it still won't really infill solid under those letters in cura it seemed like it was solid but it was not.

But I fixed it by making a file with blank key chains and by resetting the extruder to the proper place after the copy paste operation for the letters.

it works now at least from a gcode review in pronterface. cura's review of the gcode shades the other layers and it's difficult to review layer by layer properly. much better view by double clicking on the print preview in proterface you can review layer by layer then.

well problem solved with a little gcode hacking copy and pasting. Hint highlight one end of your gcode press shift and scroll otherwise you'll be trying to copy and paste for hours.

terramir

Hi @terramir, could you please save a project file (File -> Save) and attach the .3mf file to this thread. Thanks.