Prime Tower Falling

Fred804

Posted (edited) · Prime Tower Falling

Does anyone have problems with the prime tower falling for tall prints like in the following Joel Telling (3D Printing Nerd) vid? 

Like in the vid, the Cura team has improved the prime tower default settings as it will now do a brim if the print is using one.  However, I've still had problems with the tower falling.  With a brim, the tower usually cracks off at the 2nd layer. 

I've tried increasing the size of the tower and am now printing 40mm towers, and I've increased the number of tower walls (by increasing Prime Tower Minimum Volume) to 4 (2 for nozzle 1 and 2 for nozzle 2), and it still falls (see attached photo of a print where I tried to salvage it by gluing the tower back onto the print bed -- the tower had cracked off after only having printed about 2 inches!).  I could keep making the tower thicker, but it would be great to have a really thick wall at the bottom and have it gradually thin out towards the top.  Or some other idea that would stop this problem.  Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 10.20.38 AM.png

Edited by Fred804
fixed type of 'not' where it should have been 'now'

• 2 months later...
    Posted · Prime Tower Falling

I have solved this by printing with a really broad brim to keep the tower from breaking loose from the bed and enlarging the size and volume of the tower to keep it from breaking.  It uses a bit more material and takes a bit longer but I rarely have prime tower failures even with tall, skinny objects on my UM3ext.

water bottle holder.JPG

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies