Ultimaker 2 not printing circular shapes and top layer correctly

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 not printing circular shapes and top layer correctly

Hy there,

I am trying to print a calibration test piece which has a cylindrical component, unfortunately the printer is printing oval shapes instead and does not print a closed top layer.

Does anyone have a clue about how to solve these issues?

Any help is very much appreciated.

F

Edited by Francesca_T

Posted · Ultimaker 2 not printing circular shapes and top layer correctly

About the oval shape, I already replied to your other thread, you have to align your axles.

About the problem with the top layer, it would help if you can post a picture here, that we can see what's wrong. Additionally it is also helpful if you save your Cura project as 3mf file and upload it here too, then we have the object and all your Cura settings.

• Like 1

Thank you Smithy. Here is a picture of the 2 tests (apologise the low quality).

I attach the 3mf files as well, hopefully it will help.

We bought some magnalube g and sewing machine oil to realign the axles, hopefully they'll arrive soon.

IMG-1428.JPG

Pre-sliced file UM2E_20_20_4_calcube_hole.3mf Calibration_Steps.3mf

Hi there again, as I am having a look to the axis now and on their alignment I was thinking if it is forth doing it without having the sewing machine oil (as recommended). What do you think, shall I go ahead and do it without oil or is worth to use it whistl doing the alignment?

Many thanks for the suggestions 😃

Hi

The shapes of those holes looks just like mine did a month ago.

All screws to the motor had gone loose so just tightened them and it was all good again.

• Like 2

Than you @AndersK 😃

Indeed both motor and belt were a bit loosen. I tightened them and as you can see in pictures now the holes are circular (as it should be).

Have one last issue with this printer which is concerning the top finish. It does still look a bit rough and not closed although it is on the 3D model.

Any clue on that?

Thank you so much for all the precious guidance on this 3D printer!

Francesca

DSC_2971.JPG

DSC_2972.JPG

• Like 1

Great that it was that easy (took a while for me to figure out to be honest)👍

Top surface, make sure your top thickness is about 6x layer height else it might sink between infill pattern.

Ironing is a great feature to use on flat surfaces to enhance appearance. Enable that under Shell settings.

For most materials default values are good but I normally reduce the flow to 5% when running PET to avoid lumps.

• Thanks 1