2 part printed mold

iiblis

Posted · 2 part printed mold

I want to ask a question that how can i do any stl model's 2 part mold with 3d printer? I can not figure it out anyway. Please help me.

For example:  

Posted · 2 part printed mold

You need good CAD software.  CAD software usually allows you to do a subtraction so you might for example (in the above case) start with a model of the head (the gray image above) them model a cube (the black part above and place the head inside the cube and do a *subtract*.  Some cad programs call these boolean operations.  Then cut the cube open in CAD to make two halves.  Add keying, add places for the liquid material to get in and out - worry about how bubbles will escape, etc.

What  CAD software are you familiar with?  Are you planning to mold something you designed yourself?  Or something that someone else designed?  The answer to these questions inform us here on the forum as to which CAD software would work best for you.  But most of the time you want to use the CAD software that you already know (if you have been using CAD for years).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 22 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies