2 part printed mold

iiblis

Posted · 2 part printed mold

I want to ask a question that how can i do any stl model's 2 part mold with 3d printer? I can not figure it out anyway. Please help me.

For example:  

Posted · 2 part printed mold

You need good CAD software.  CAD software usually allows you to do a subtraction so you might for example (in the above case) start with a model of the head (the gray image above) them model a cube (the black part above and place the head inside the cube and do a *subtract*.  Some cad programs call these boolean operations.  Then cut the cube open in CAD to make two halves.  Add keying, add places for the liquid material to get in and out - worry about how bubbles will escape, etc.

What  CAD software are you familiar with?  Are you planning to mold something you designed yourself?  Or something that someone else designed?  The answer to these questions inform us here on the forum as to which CAD software would work best for you.  But most of the time you want to use the CAD software that you already know (if you have been using CAD for years).