Octoprint plugin does not connect

PRISMA3D

Posted · Octoprint plugin does not connect

New to Cura. I installed Cura 4.4 and went to the marketplace and installed Octoprint Connection. I closed Cura, then reopened. When I go to Settings>Printer and open my printer configuration there is no "Connect OctoPrint" button. I have Octoprint up and running on the same network. I tired removing and reinstalling Octoprint Connection and have the latest version of Octoprint running on a Pi 3B+. Please give me insight where to go to troubleshoot.

I’m the creator of that plugin. The Connect to OctoPrint button should be there regardless of whether OctoPrint is detected on the network. What printer do you want to use OctoPrint with?

Can you upload your cura.log file somewhere and post a link here? It can be found through Help -> Show configuration folder. It should show if something is going wrong with the plugin.

Posted (edited) · Octoprint plugin does not connect

I have been using the Octoprint to interface with a Flashforge Creator Pro for over a year. It works for gcode I created in S3D but it is a purely drag and drop. Not bad but not optimum

I am in the process of learning CURA to determine if it has advantages.

cura.log

Edited by ptwats
    add log file

There is nothing in your log that shows the OctoPrint Connection plugin not working. I noticed that it looks like you have added an Ultimaker S5 type printer in Cura and named it FFCP. The Ultimaker S5 can not be controlled with OctoPrint (it has no exposed serial port to communicate with OctoPrint), so the plugin does not offer to let you connect with it.

The Ultimaker S5 is a bad match for your Flashforge Creator Pro. It will not even save gcode files by default (but prefers .ufp instead), and has very specific profiles that work well for the S5 but probably not for your printer. Please add a new printer to Cura, and pick the Custom FFF Printer option (under "Custom") if your printer is not listed.

That was it! I created that printer definition a while back and when I created the proper printer type the button appeared. Noob mistake on my part. Thanks for your support.

Now back to learning.

Posted (edited) · Octoprint plugin does not connect

Happily running Cura 4.2.1 on a Mac (OS X 10.12.6). Using Octoprint on a Pi for a year or so and learned about the OctoPrintPlugin the other day.  It does not show up in my Marketplace as I searched and came across this thread.  Per a post above, downloaded "OctoPrintPlugin-v6.0.0-2019-07-18T12_32_22Z.curapackage" and dropped in onto Cura.  Got the popup that it would be installed on restart.  Restarted.  Looked into Cura.log and found the following entry: 

2020-02-19 22:45:42,855 - WARNING - [MainThread] UM.PluginRegistry.loadPlugin [374]: Plugin [OctoPrintPlugin] with supported sdk versions [['5.0.0', '6.0.0', '6.1.0', '5.0.0']] is incompatible with the current sdk version [7.0.0].

Deleted all of what had not been installed (.../Library/Application Support/cura/4.4/plugins/OctoPrintPlugin/*).

Downloaded the latest version of the repository into .../plugins/OctoPrintPlugin/, changed subdirectory name from "Cura-OctoPrintPlugin-3.5" to "OctoPrintPlugin".  NOW under printers, I see the Connect OctoPrint button (!). However, my Octoprint instance is not discovered. So I enter the IP address.  The settings dialog appears briefly and disappears. After tinkering a bit, I get the dialog to stay open long enough to request an API key, which Octoprint grants and Cura crashes.  Enter details in the crash reporter which does not close when I click Send.  Eventually I close the crash reporter.  Re-open Cura and am told that my profile is corrupt (I only have one printer) and would I like to reset?  I DO NOT say yes as I do not want to re-tune my Cura settings yet again (screen cap below).489687170_ScreenShot2020-02-19at11_30_50PM.thumb.png.5be7d3ecae5df9f0efa4dc4d4aad5fcc.png

Cura continues to function, as near as I can tell. I re-loaded a stl previously sliced and it told me 1hr 40min to print which was over twice what it has said last time I had printed it.  Loaded a new stl (8mm x 20mm solid cylinder) and got a print time of 10min.

Things slice and print but the Cura crashes and it's clear I am going to do what nobody wants to do and start from scratch.  But this time maybe I'll RTFM and use material profiles correctly.

*sigh*

Edited by MisterPi
    Delete duplicate image (*noob* error)

1 hour ago, MisterPi said:

It does not show up in my Marketplace

Your timing is unfortunate. Yesterday someone at UM pushed a wrong button for the wrong reason, which removed the plugin from the Marketplace. It is not recommended to download versions of the plugin from other sources, because often the versions posted are development snapshots or older versions that may no longer work with newer versions of Cura. A new version of the plugin will be available from the Marketplace shortly.

I am sorry if tinkering to install the plugin may have contributed to corrupting your installation. If you could zip up the entire configuration folder (Help -> Show configuration folder) and DM me a link to it, I will see what I can do to repair the damage.

Again, I am sorry you have to run into this.

At the risk of being active on too many forums simultaneously, a work colleague of mine (MUCH younger) was waxing rhapsodically (insert other, more over-the-top term here) about your creation so I have been searching high and low for it.  Iread your other post and will follow whatever guidance you have for me. Now that I have read the whole message, I know what to do.

Thanks for all your hard work here.

@ahoeben

Is there a way to force the Octoprint plugin to allow connection button, even on Ultimaker profiles?  Even though there is no serial on an Ultimaker, there is a an advantage to certain printers to use to use an Ultimaker profile as the base, and modify it. But doing so disables the button for octoprint in machine settings.

Telling Cura you have an Ultimaker printer when you don't will lead to all kinds of issues. I highly recommend you don't do that, even if you want to use the profiles for the Ultimaker printer for your non-Ultimaker printer. I recommend you check out what it is you like about those profiles and put that in your own profiles. There is no conspiracy here, there is nothing you can't do in your profile that you can do with the Ultimaker profiles.

My code does not check for Ultimaker printers, but it checks for the metadata attribute "supports_usb_connection". Most Ultimaker definitions set that to "false". I am not going to break my software to enable something that I think is a bad idea, but if you want to change that "supports_usb_connection" from false to true, then I can't stop you.

PS: I recommend not posting feature requests as a reply to a 2 year old mostly unrelated thread, because they may get lost (no matter how large you make the font).

There is also absolutely no advantage for printers to use an ultimaker profile as the base.

I think this stems from the recent change in Ultimaker profiles where the behavior for 100% infill was made to not print everything as bottom layers. This made Ultimaker prints "much faster" than all the other printers, so Cura must have made all other printers print slower! This is ofcourse not true, but once a youtuber has made a couple of thousand views with that headline, it is going to be hard to get it out of people's heads.

• Like 1

i have added octoprint plugin for cura 5.5., 4.3, 4.6 however, no octoprint button is available under printer section what is the problem? i tried on windows, mac and ubuntu.

9 hours ago, tunceroctoprint said:

what is the problem?

I would normally need to see your Cura.log file, which can be found via Help -> Show configuration folder. One thing you could check though is if the OctoPrint plugin is disabled from loading. Go to the Marketplace and press the little cogwheel icon. Scroll down to "OctoPrint Connection" and make sure the checkbox in front of it is not unchecked. If it is, check it and restart Cura.